1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Kawasaki 125cc Carb Problem

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Red Rider, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

As many know here, though I ride a carb bike, tearing down a carb is the last thing I want to deal with after a bad experience many years ago. Prudent or chicken, I'll let ya make that call!:banghead: Though I have done my Jeep's Webber - but four wheel screw-ups are more recoverable. So anyway.....

My dirt bike is now leaving fuel trails behind me. I've eye-balled it and see nothing obvious. I've tried getting the manual but it is over a week away from arriving. Here are the details:

When the petcock is turned to either Fuel or Reserve, fuel just runs right out of it through a hose on the bowl bottom that looks like a drain hose. Doesn't have to be running. I can actually ride it this way by turning on the fuel until fills the carb and it starts to spill, then shut it off until it is starved, then repeat (which is a few dirt-miles on this little bike). It spits enough fuel to really have a good fire trail, like that movie "Ghostrider" - which is not a good thing. Rather not have a flaming skull-head.

So :wtf:

I'll leave my guessing out of it and hope someone here knows what the problem is.
  2. dutch

dutch New Member

carb

My guess is dirt in the needle & seat. Turn the fuel of at the tank remove fuel line drain the carb float bowl should be a drain on the bottom, then take a can off carb cleaner and squirt it done the fuel line should get dirt out of seat. Hook up fuel line drain some gas out drain then close see if you stopped overflow problem go for a ride and as soon as possible clean carb and tank and maybe take a look at your gas can. This is not the best way to solve your problem but I know how it is when you want to ride. Dutch
  3. whacker

whacker Active Member

Your float is sticking...not closing when fuel bowl is full of gas,most likely it's dirty like dutch said,but you want to make sure your floats don't have any holes in them,and that they move freely...Good luck....
  4. whacker

whacker Active Member

p.s. you want to make sure the float level is set corectly..
  5. Red Rider

:) Thanks, guys.....will post results later.

:banghead: If I only could get over my carbophobia.
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

what whacker said.....make sure the needle/seat is clean, and the float.."floats"...............
  7. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Red you might just take the float out & shake it close to your good ear:D & see if you hear any fuel in it , a float can have a small hole you'll never see & just a few drops can make it heavy for the setting you need to be at
  8. Red Rider

If I only HAD a good ear! :rolleyes: :banghead:
  9. Red Rider

Took it off, cleaned the bowl and float assembly. Cleaned the main jet. Lots of crap in there. Reassembled. Turned Fuel on. Fuel poured out of overflow.:banghead: :gah: :angry: :banghead: :witsend:
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

check float level it's not right or it's sticking when it fills the carb,
    after you turn it on and it's coming out tap the float bowl with a wrench some see if it stops, might might not, guarantee the floats the problem.
  11. Red Rider

HRK - Thanks. And, yeah, it sure should be the dang float function. I just can't see why it isn't working properly, and I spent a good long time messing with the ^#^&%# thing. :banghead: Might be as simple as wear/deterioration on the float needle, but without seeing a good one I can't be sure. Though with the amount of flow by it, it has to be something more that is keeping it from seating. :witsend:

I'll get back to it later.