1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Kicker on a hard bag

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by ironhorse, Nov 26, 2007.

1. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

heres one to make you ponder, or not, I was looking at the am bag. mag today and realized I have never seen, (not saying it hasn't been done) a hard bagger with a kicker on it or if it's even possible without a total revamp of the baggs. :D
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i didnt see the mag or bike. my 65 has hard bags, and a kicker, and a button!! what year?
    in looking at my 06 i dont see a problem with a kicker.....might need to modify the length, but still, i dont see a problem.
  3. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

naw chuck just a passing thought, didn't see it in the mag just didn't see the room for one as that thought was passing I know the older ones had them I used to kick start my first 2 bikes just haven't seen one on any new ones, all this custom bike building and such, maybe I just ain't paying enough attention.
  4. chucktx

naw, your paying attention....most builders opt for electric due to engine size,and being a bit lazy....old school builders using stock to nearly stock will still use kickers......indian larry comes to mind. his bikes were some of the sweetest in my book. nevercould get a handle on them long, bigtired machines. my opinion.....and i have owned one....keyword....one!! lol lol
  5. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

seen a big front tire in quick throttle or thunder roads maybe and I'm talking 120 to 140 I think.(it also had duel v-twins, evos I think)just a drive way ornament in my opinion along with the extreme rakes and fat tire rears, (sorry voodoo) any way. it is the old school/new school combos I like best, like your 65 just I would like it with efi, now my wife wants the fat bob, to each thier own, I always thought though that the loss of the kicker was bad, I think it is an in the boonies safety feature, of course it was replaced most likely with the cellphone too.
  6. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Chuck is correct, the old hard baggers of the 50's and 60's had kickers. Since I'm into history I thought I would share a little info. I'm sure many of us out there know much of this. Things like how some of the HD bikes got their names. So for those out there that don't know, here ya go.

In 1949 the FL Hydra-Glide was introduced. Named the Hydra-Glide because the springer front end was replaced with the new FL hydraulic forks. Same design on todays bikes. The rest of the frame was still a hardtail.

In 1958 the Hydra-Glide evolves into the Duo-Glide. The hardtail frame is gone and a new swing arm frame, with rear hydraulic shocks is introduced. Named the Duo-Glide because the bike now has hydraulic shocks front and rear.

In 1965 the Duo-Glide gets a new electric starter and becomes the Electra-Glide. Named obviously for it's electric starter. Bike still has a kicker and hard bags. In 1987 HD also added the Electra-Glide Sport which was replaced by the Road King in 1994.

Not eaxactly sure on this but I beleive it was in the late 70's that HD removed the kickers from the bikes. However, for those that want one, Baker makes a 5 speed kicker for baggers.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  7. chucktx

ringo, cool bit of history.....but...........electraglide was introduced in 1965, along with the auto advance distributor...:) ;)
  8. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

My mistake Chuck...musta fat fingered the 6 instead of the 5 for the info on the EG.:banghead:
  9. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Good info to prove I was right Or a lot closer then A guy I know who said the Rk was not A type of replacement for the older Glide & that the E Glide was a new model
    7 My 73 Shovel had both the kick & elic with hard bags