1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Labor Day Ride

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by FLHTbiker, Sep 2, 2008.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

The wife and I took off Saturday morning heading for southern Oregon, northern California and then back up the Oregon coast. We were doing what is called the Oregon Grand Tour which has 18 check points through-out Oregon, Washington, with California, Wyoming and one in Montana.

We were just trying to do most of the ones in Oregon and Northern California. Our first stop was in a small community called Shady Grove, Oregon. Headed down I-5 to Canyonville and then along a really beautiful back country 2 lane road that came out into Shady Cove that is just below Crater Lake on Hwy 62. Had a late lunch there and then headed for Cave Junction Oregon famous for the Oregon Caves. We camped the night there in a small camp ground and headed out in 25 degree weather the next morning, yea very cold. We decided that breakfast would be a 100-150 miles down the road in Orleans CA. To get there we headed for OBrian Oregon and crossed over into a wilderness area that took us from OBrian and into Happy Camp CA. Wow, what a road and what a lot of corners and switchbacks. We made it to Orleans by 10:30 AM for a so, so breakfast. We decided that we would head down CA. Hwy 96 to Eurika Ca. What a mistake that was, there was high winds all along Hwy 101 heading north back up towards Oregon. The Pacific ocean was full of huge waves and white caps. The wind was so fierce at times it would throw the bikes into the other lanes or almost off to the side of the road. Not Good to say the least and not much fun. Most of the time riding through there is excellent riding weather, just not that day. We made it up to Brookings for another tank of gas, oh yea we filled up in Willow Creek Ca and gas was almost $5.00 a gallon for Premium. The wife gets off easier with taking regular in her Honda Valkyrie trike.
    Well we fueled up in Brookings and the winds were still blowing so instead of stopping to eat we decided to push on. We were trying to get to Myrtle Point Oregon just south of Coos Bay, Oregon. Took a couple of photos along the Oregon coast after the wind started to calm down and in the Redwoods.
    Was keeping a pretty close watch on the wife in my mirror all the time and as I entered Myrtle Point and into the 3rd check point for the weekend she wasn't there. Now I was worried, no answer over the CB on the bike either. I turned around and headed back out of town looking for her and there she was. Her Honda was broke down, yep it failed us. Now were sitting on the side of the road and she's pulling the tent trailer. Dead battery, I quickly surmised after jump starting it that she was not getting any power into the battery from the alternator. Long story short, three nice state cops helping out and then a flat bed tow truck hauled her bike up the coast 140 miles to Lincoln City. We have a trailer there in town there and friends. Triple A turned out to be the Saviour.
    We rode two up on the Harley pulling the trailer to Coos Bay and wanted to get to Lincoln City where our friends were waiting up for us. It started to rain (adding insult to injury) turned pitch black when darkness fell, deer and Elk all over the roads. We made it to Lincoln City at midnight Sunday night and my shoulder muscles were so sore by then a hot shower was really needed.
    Friends from home who also have a house in Lincoln City came down the next day with there flat bed trailer and took her bike home for us the next day.
    What a weekend to say the least. Pictures along the Oretgon Coast range between OBrian Oregon and Happy Camp CA.
    Some Pics further down

Attached Files:

2. FLHTbiker

Pictures of in the Redoods and then the Oregon Coast.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  3. FLHTbiker

Wife in the mirror checking on her.

Opps, broke down
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

sorry to hear about the mechanical problems.....but the scenery is awsome!!!!! you sure have some fantastic roads to ride!!!
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Ya thats some awsome county side, trike should be a easy fix
  6. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Sweet

I was trying to get up there to crater lake last weekend cept that the oil in the engine kept trying to get out and was succeeding. :D

I wrote about it in another thread.

Nice pics. What kind of gas mileage does the Valkyrie get without the trailer?
  7. FLHTbiker

Valkyrie gets about 38 MPG average. Not the greatest but not bad for a trike either. I used to ride it as a two wheeler until the wife convinced me to convert it into a trike for her. So one winter in my shop it became a trike.

I got the alternator out today now got to get the parts (brushes) and rebuild it.
  8. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

I think 38 is great for a trike with an 6 cyl like that.

If you ever get the time you should write about the conversion to trike process with pics. I know I would be interested in reading it. I always thought about a trike for my fiance.

Good luck with the starter.
  9. chucktx

yup, im sitting next to tom....wouldnt mind that myself!!!! mama been wanting a trike for a long time. actually i would like to find an old servi car or just the frame........:)
  10. FLHTbiker

I'll have to dig out the photos I took when I was converting it over. You know everytime we stop at a gas stop while on the road, she gets all of the attention with her trike and nobody looks at my SE Ultra. :rant:
    The state cops that pulled up to see if we needed help 2 of them were women and they went right to the trike checking it out and asking questions. Well at least it makes her feel good that she gets the attention. :)
    Here is a nice picture of it on a trip to Montana

Attached Files:

11. chucktx

that is a fine looking trike!!!!!!!!!:)
  12. SK

SK New Member

That Valk engine's a hauler. Marc..you're getting off easy making her haul that heavy trailer. :rolleyes:
  13. FLHTbiker

Actually the trailer is not that heavy, 225 empty and we don't carry much except for 2 bags of cloths (one for each) and small cooler with pop, water and beer and a couple of lawn chairs on the top. The mattress is a air mattress and then two sleeping bags and a couple of blankets and small pillows. We used to cook in camp but now she makes me take her out, so no food to carry. :D
  14. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

holy cow, 225 empty is about the same weight as my buggy. Sorry about the trike behaving badly. This weekend past a wayward pick me up truck piled into my car and my wife's.....smacked 'em both up pretty good..hers may be a write off..that'll suck but no one hurt....both our cars were parked in front of the house.
  15. FLHTbiker

Sorry about the misfortune Bob sounds like your weekend was worse. I've got the parts coming to rebuild the Alternator and get her back on the road. Glad your both OK and hope the other driver was caught.

225 pounds for a full size tent trailer is really not bad as there are others like the Aspen that weight about 100 pounds more.
  16. FLHTbiker

Well rebuilt the alternator all new brushes and installed it. The hardest part was trying to figure out where all those chrome pieces fit again. Bike runs great and she is putting out plenty of juice. Bike needs a bath but that's the wifes job, its her bike and I don't wash other peoples bikes.
  17. Mayor

Mayor New Member

Trike is beautiful!!!! Have many questions about it, but, maybe you rode it after you triked it, but before raking it.....or is it raked, appears to be.

My wife has arm trouble.....Her trike handles great without raked....Long 200 plus miles trips and she has a little trouble with arm and back....Question: Think I need to rake it??? Guess I know the answere...just need you to tell me to break down and spend the money...hehe :)

Toni gets 39 MPH if she takes care of it......But, usually she like to twist it`s ear and hear the pipes!!

Thanks for any help FLHT
  18. FLHTbiker

Absolutely yes it is raked out 4 degrees. Makes it steer much better. It also brings the bars back closer to her. Plus I added a pull back section to the bike for her arms. she rides that trike better than most men ride their 2-wheeler.
    The bike was mine before we triked it. She kept making hints to me that wouldn't this be a nice trike stuff. I kept telling her what a way to fu@k up a good bike but she kept it up till I gave in. :rolleyes:

Before I put a rake kit on it I rode it without one and man that sucked. I think a rake kit might really help her out a lot.

Here is a before picture:

Attached Files:

19. Mayor

Mayor New Member

Thanks a lot....I knew the answere...Thought I needed to hear from you on the subject....Also thanks to you and all the others for information we can learn on this Forum.....Nice to be able to read the forums input on different subjects.....Local advice (dealers and individuals) get local solutions!!!! With the forum we can get a different propective from different areas of the country...sorry "countries" :)