1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Laced rear wheel for sportster

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by raa883, Nov 11, 2009.

1. raa883

raa883 New Member

I'm thinking about putting a laced rear wheel on my 2006 sportster. I've seen lots of wheels for sale, but I need to know what fits best before I go any further. Do I need to be aware of bearing size and wheel width. Is the stock wheel wider than 3 inches and what size are the wheel bearings? If this has been covered before, my apollogies. Thanks
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

the best advice would be to take measurements from what you have,,,,then go from there....i assume you like the look????
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

yep I bet it like the looks better ,cause the 06 sporty has the solid wheel in back like the fat boy
  4. raa883

raa883 New Member

Thanks for the reply. Not sure if the wheel needs to be nore than 3 inches wide to accomodate the 150 tire.
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

a 150 will fit a stock rim.......
  6. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Laced wheels front & rear were an option on models other than the Custom, which came with the disc Fat Boy type wheel in the rear. Rear axle 1", up from 3/4" on '04 & earlier models; sealed wheel bearings; rim is 3" wide. You could get just the laced rear wheel for an '05-up model & keep the 21" front (assuming you've got the Custom) or a set from / for another Sportster (883 or 1200) which would have the wider 19" front.