1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Laid er down gently

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by RoadKingBlack2010, Sep 6, 2010.

1. RoadKingBlack2010

RoadKingBlack2010 New Member

Wow can't believe I laid her down gently. Did zero damage to the bike but did damage to myself my ego. Turning around in a tight parking lot slanted downhill, she just very gently laid down. Very, very embarrassing....:cussing:
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

That happens, no big deal. At least you didn't do any damage too the bike. I hope that you didn't hurts yourself too much???
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

yep it happens to all of ue sooner or later , good to hear your not hurt & no damage to your ride ,One of my bro-in-laws did this about two years ago & his bike landed on his left foot & he now has pin's in it
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Gravity - It's the Law.

Happens to everyone,
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Sorry to hear have done that before to until I learned about how to counter balance when making slow parking lot maneuvers and turns.
  6. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

gotta love them crash guards...welcome to the club..glad you weren't hurt..
  7. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Yep !

Crashbars sux till you lay yer baby down, then you say to yerself.
    Man Please..............

Those saved a lot of damage to my baby.........:rant:
  8. steveb

steveb Active Member

did that in a gas station out in Sturgis the first year I got the Ultra. Easy to pick up there was 100 bikers there to help me pick her back up.
  9. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

When yer bike feels like it make go down, put the rear break on and give it gas and it will stand the bike up.
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Yep all slow speed maneuvering should be done with throttle, clutch and rear brake, NEVER grab the front brake...

I've been to several of Motomans shows, (former LEO instructor) and he is spot on, does a great show too and a friend of mine is an instructor in the Panhandle for his group.

Ride like a Pro

Even if you are a seasoned rider this is good stuff, refreshers never hurt and ya might
    learn something, some of the video is on youtube..

He does a good job of teaching how to manipulate a big ol bagger in a tight spot, funny too.

Lifting a big bike there are tricks even a 150 pound gal can be taught how to raise a 900 pound bagger off the ground...
  11. fxdxriderleo

fxdxriderleo Active Member

There are only two kinds of riders, those who have been down and those who haven't been down...yet!
  12. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

AMEN to that - never dropped it at speed but have at a stop when it goes down, it's down and ya got egg all over yer face - makes for some good stories later and a laugh or two if ya don't get hurt doin it.:)
  13. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Yea, been there down that:)
  14. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

That's just called "Saddle bag parkin".
    I've stood strattle legged over one wonderin,, what the hell just happened ???
  15. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I wondered what they called it ,Mine was a few years back while in Alb NM the wife & I stoped at a 7-11 late at night & my right foot went right onto a oil slick from a car never seen it in the dark & down she laided wife was pissed till she seen the oil slick
  16. 05glide

05glide New Member

You said it. I've done, we all have. :gah: Glad to hear no damage other than a bruised ego. :cool: They hear quick to heal and no doctor bills.
  17. JohnnyBiker

As of now I am in the "have not" category, but I am sure it will happen to me at some point, especially now since I am going to try out one of those baggers tomorrow, just hope it does not happen tomorrow. :eek:
  18. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Lots different between a Sportster and a bagger--weight is just the beginning. While you can throw a Sporty around, bagger maneuvers have to be planned ahead a bit. Although, I think a bagger has an advantage in low-speed stability because of ther unique steering geometry. Have fun on your test ride.
  19. JohnnyBiker

I ahve ridden a bagger before and I must say that you are 100% correct on the geometry of the steering. I am almost about to chicken out, but I won't. I think that it is just the fact that it is a dealerships bike that worries me.
  20. amf4399

amf4399 Active Member

So far it has only happened to me once. Late at night in front of my house. Gravel drive way and my foot slipped out. Saved it but over did it and push it over the other side. Woke my wife up with a loud fuuuuuuuuuuuuu......ck! . Bike was only few months old. About $2000 in scratches.