1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Latest aquisition

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Lucifer, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

[​IMG][/IMG]

1978 1/2 80" FLH .... Comes with saddlebags and spot lights...new main harness and a few other things, bought it from a good friend who was cash strapped and gave him the option to buy it back by February...if he can't the project will begin in Feb.
    I'd like to restore it back to original(S&S carb exception)....bags and spots are period correct but can't remember if they came with windshield or batwing.. any help there is appreciated, also color options and tank badge for that year.:devil:
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

That's nice and would be a fun project.
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

good looking FLh , cant remember but thing the bat wing was a option in 78 , try google 7 see what pops up
  4. Lucifer

It is a good strong shovel...this pic is after he painted it. I googled it but didn't come up with much....lotsa pics but none bone stock or with options.
    I have a couple of months to decide which way to go with it...upgrade switches to 96-08 style and put an evo set of forks on to upgrade brakes and M/C ,go single or dual calipers, the evo lower legs won't work with the shovel tubes.
    One part of me wants him to be able to come up with the coin to buy it back, but the selfish side of me wants to keep it, then I'll have 3 generations of Harleys...the last 2 gens of real HD's with soul and character and a Twinkie;)
    The wiring was kinda butchered with ton's of crimp connectors and started shorting out between the tanks, so I picked him up a NOS main harness a while back but it didn't get done yet
    He won this bike on a $50.00 ticket,(local club raffled it off) and it was the only way he would have been able to own a HD.
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

There is a 1978 FLH brochure listed on E-bay, the link when pasted brings up something else
  6. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

That is pretty awesome. I like shovels, evos, and of course the panheads. I guess it is what it is man. If he can get the doe to get his bike back, that is awesome, but better for you if he can't. Let me know if you are interested in selling that because that looks like something that I would be interested in buying. Just saying.
  7. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

95% of them had the windshields.........bat wings werent very popular back then.....some cops had them.
  8. Lucifer

Sorry Johnny...it's only for sale to one guy....
    Thanks chuck, the 70's are kinda fuzzy for me;):rolleyes:
    It has an aftermarket cam, don't know what one tho and a Crane nose cone ignition in it now and ran very strong. It doesn't need a lot of work, mostly just assembly and rewired so a logical move would be upgrade brakes and suspension and forget the restoration since it wouldn't be a true original without the stock cam, ignition and carb.
    Looking forward to getting it going no matter which one of us own it.:D
  9. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

that my friend is a way cool bike, make it dependable and then ride the wheels off it.:)
  10. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

That is one dandy shovel! I have a shop manual for '70 thru early '78 and all the pics of FL/FLH 1200's show a front fairing (batwing?) with a windshield that appears to extend about 18" or so above the fairing. The Electra-Glide shows a windshield only. The '72 thru '78 big twins show the banana caliper brakes. 'Course, this ain't for a '78 1/2, but close. I wonder if the cast wheels are original? All the wheels in my manual and in my coffee table Harley books show spoked ones during that era. I only remember spoked wheels back then, but then my memory is fuzzy, too!
  11. Lucifer

Found my HD Data Book...It's the first year for electronic ignition and the cast aluminum wheels were a first year option in '78.... it's got a banana front brake but the rear was changed on this one to what looks like a GMA caliper...not a lot of stop in those banana calipers, so if I can't find a bolt on replacement caliper I'll prolly swap fork tubes and legs to Evos, lots of choices for brakes then.