1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Leak ain't gettin' better

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Lucifer, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

:roflmao: Seems to be a few more drips under the bike now...starting to look like it's a Shovel parked there:rolleyes:

If the shifter shaft seal is also leaking, would it be tranny oil or primary oil??

Gonna take a lot of beer to find/fix 2 leaks...:eek::D
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Is this on your cop king? Who cares get extra beer :)
  3. Lucifer

Yeah...stator plug for sure, but looks like coming from under clutch too...bottom of kickstand has oil on it when I put it down...gonna have to at least check the oil levels in tranny and primary...if just primary,I'm good until winter...
  4. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

just resealed all the inner primary and shifter shaft as well not bad got it all done in about 4 .5 hours. if it was my soft tail would of had it done in an hour . dam bagger got **** on it . and bolts all over the place . easy to fix just clean all surface places real well and lube all seals before reinstalling them so as not to cut the seals or burn sealing surface at start up.
  5. cowboy

I would double check it all , get some degrease spray & clean the under neath , I found one on my 03 cop glide that way , it was the drain plug for the primery cover darn o ring had a crack I got lucky with that easy fix :D
  6. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I always replace all the drain plug O-rings at every oil change. Not that others don't just think its a good idea.
    Hope that it all seals up for you Lucifer, good luck.
  7. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Like he said PLUS, I use the teflon paste on the threads. A little dab will do ya.
  8. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Yep, forgot to mention the teflon past.

I had my oil changed on a Honda Goldwing a few years back at a Indy shop and the shop threaded the plug in wrong and cross threaded it. They tried putting a band-aide on it with gobs of Teflon tape and thread sealer. Didn't tell me about it and I noticed that it would drip oil all the time. So I thought at first it was not tight. When I looked underneath the bike I could see exactly what they did cause the plug was cocked off at an angle and all the goop on it. Man I was pissed off and took it immediately back to em. They said you must have done that trying to tighten it up. Never even put a wrench on it. Argued with em and finally left telling them that they ****ed it up and I will bring them a bill for the repair.
    I had to drain it out then lay the bike on its side and prop it up on a 4X4 to raise the bottom up a little higher. Drilled it out and put a time-sert into it. It worked and the leak stopped. I made up a bill and presented it to them, course I never got paid for it and made sure every rider I knew, knew what they had done. Two years later they were out of business, wonder why.
    Sorry didn't mean to Hijack this thread but it just brought back memories of that incident.
  9. Lucifer

Yep..that's second on the list ;) just called my bud and book some fridge space and jack space...gonna pick up some degreaser, brake clean and a tube of the permatex stuff BP mentioned and he's got a pressure washer up there too...Hell, I might clean the whole bike:D Then take her for a good run,jack it up,crack a few cold ones and wait for some drips...BP...I think it's gonna take us a little more than 4.5hrs:roflmao:
    I also got a set of black rider's floorboards and a set of Kerker/Supertrap slipons I'm gonna swap for the V&H Ovals that are on now,will I need to remap??We'll see...It's a canned/custom map from Fuel Moto which is pretty close,can't see exhaust flow being that much different between the two sets and I think there's some wiggle room with the canned map...
  10. Lucifer

Got the primary cleaned up quite a bit...should be able to spot a leak now...it lost about 1/2 quart in a little over 1000 miles...might switch over to 10-40 or 20-50 instead of the ATF to see if it'll slow down so I can get through the season...does appear to be some coming from the clutch end of it too...which would have to be main seal to leak primary fluid,shifter shaft would leak tranny fluid...one advantage of running different color oils in the 3 holes...
    Got the Supetrapp/Kerker's on...quite a bit quieter but a lot more air coming out the pipe... have to keep an eye on the plugs
  11. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

well thats good bud . it would take less time but those cold ones come first. makes the leak seem smaller also after the second one!
  12. Lucifer

Gonna put a few miles on it and watch the level...taking the lil lady on a vacation road trip next week so if it drops a noticeable amount(probably will,'cause it ain't gettin better by itself:rolleyes:),I'll getter done before we go...should only take an evening,but we'll make a night of it..LOL
  13. cowboy

Ya better git her done , I'll just the lil lady wont be happy with oil all over her jeans :roflmao:
  14. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

I'd clean her up, and put her up on a bike table or something where I could see under her.
    Don't sit up no bear trap so the bike will fall on you.

Crank the bike and let her run with yer buddy there.
    Look for leaks and try to see where its comin from
    If you crank it and ride it the wind will blow the oil all over the place makin it harder to see where the leak is.

Let us know what you come up with.
  15. Lucifer

I wish I had a lift...and a garage:roflmao:gotta use my bud's garage... Spotted a good sized drip coming off the stator plug when I stopped yesterday,so today I'm going to clean it off again,drain the ATF and use 20-50,can't find the Permatex right stuff BP mentioned but I'll find something to temporarily seal it to see if there are any more leaks...
    You're right CB....the oil is covering the bottom right back to the back of the oil pan,that's why I'm also thinking the jackshaft or mainshaft seal is leaking too...so if I can get the stator plug sealed I'll find out if there's more...
  16. cardboard

On my 08 EG I had, I got a 1.4 kw Starter.
    Turned the bike over great. But when I got home I had oil on the floor.
    Dang where did that come from.
    Well I looked everywhere. Chucktx even come over.
    We pulled the primary and clutch basket, replaced the outter transmission gasket. the seal on the back side where the starter comes threw all the bolts with the orange ring on them the inner and outter primary gaskets.
    It still leaked.
    I had it on the table with it runnin, I seen oil leak out. It was coming out of the appendix, WTF, on a brand new starter.
    Come to find out that on the starter where the new style starter is used with no jackshaft they had the wrong speciaications and it was lettin oil leak threw the starter and it dripped out the jackshaft.
    I went on a trip with Old Redneck Chuckts and his wife with this leakin.
    I had oil all over the bike. Chuck and me was kinda freakin out on where it was comin from too.:rant:
    Talked with the mfg. He said they sold 50 starters a day without no problem
    Well their engineer had designed the starter to the wrong specifications and it let it leak oil. The redesigned the starter.
    On the next starter I thought my tranny pan gasket was leakin with the oil on it when I rode the bike. The oil ran forward then the wind also blew it backards.:cussing:
    Well I went threw 6 of them. I gave them the starter back and got a All Balls starter and the problem was gone.:gah:
  17. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

what color is the oil??? if it is red it is atf.......if not it is comming from somewhere else...........
  18. Lucifer

It`s red...I'm using ATF in the primary...the puddle was getting to be a needs attention size so I went up today,sprayed around the plug with some brake clean and there was a tube of blue gasket maker so I sealed around the plug with that...drained the ATF and dumped in a quart of Castrol 20-50 MC oil...about a 10 minute ride home and I slid some cardboard under the bike....15 minutes later and it's still dry...no drips anywhere...supposed to let it cure for 24hrs so we'll go for a good ride tomorrow and see what happens...maybe go around the Cabot trail....
  19. cardboard

Hey I ain't slidin under yer bike msn
  20. Lucifer

:DWell someone had to get under,and I'm too fat!!!:eek: