1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Leak Down Tester

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Lucifer, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

I'm looking at getting one to do a test on the cop bike because I'm not 100% confident with the 95" kit that went in....well starving the top end of oil at about 100 mile mark is what's eating at me...not really a recommended break in procedure:rolleyes: Also the fact I had to add 3/4 qt of oil between 1000-1500 miles:eek:

Wasn't told my tail pipe was smoking and the only good run I had this summer,the guy trying to catch me all day with his 103" kit didn't say anything about smoke out my pipe(he got close enough a couple of times to see it good:cool:)
    I put the new style steel breathers in and there was a little more oil in the filters on the breather bolts than I wanted to see...

I want to do a compression check to ,but you get more info out of a leak down....oh yeah, TC plugs are 12mm,right??
    So I'm looking for a decent one that won't break the bank and it would be easier for me to buy one than make one....

It is a useful tool to have,but one I don't wanna have to use a lot...

Can anyone steer me to a decent one(name brand)or would a cheap one like $40 range do just as well?

I've seen a couple like this in the pic...from $40. to $90 and can't tell a difference by looking...

How to do Cylinder Leak Down Testing- Car Craft Magazine
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i think the cheap one would work just as well as the hi dollar one. actually, you could build one. to build one it would cost about the same as the cheap one so i would buy it. if your doing lots of topend work then go with the hi dollar one or, if your loaded like cardboard, get someone else to do the work!!!!!:roflmao:
  3. Lucifer

:roflmao:Not like cardboard...deep pockets and short arms:roflmao:...cheapest I've seen was $34.00 but shipping was $32.00 lol...I'd only use it,maybe once or twice on each bike...I might go up to local NAPA or local parts supply and see what they've got...if I can make one for $35-$40 I'll save shipping... Thanks
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Not like cardboard...deep pockets and short arms
    sounds like me :D, I too would check your local auto parts should be able to get one from them
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

6. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Possibly a buddy might have one you could borrow? Sorry to hear of your motor woes - I can definitely empathize!

You are one of the fella's here who one can go to for advice, so I was kinda surprised to see you asking for some about plug size. Oh, well, we don't know everything, I guess ha-ha. Good luck, Lucifer, and I hope you get it all sorted out soon.

Unbelievable about shipping charges up there - holy smoke!
  7. prodrag1320

prodrag1320 Active Member

ive got 2 that i made,i can borrow 1 out
  8. Lucifer

Thanks for the offer prodrag,but I'm too far away...Shipping to Canada and back would cost about the same as buying one...I'm not in a hurry either,been laid up since the middle of Sept with a ruptured disc,my worst year for riding in 35 yrs I don't think I got 2000 miles on the bike since the big bore kit:(

If it fails the test I may be sending you the barrels and heads...too far to send a tool,but not too far to get your valve job done and bored to 98" though:D
  9. Lucifer

:p too lazy to check...Twinkies and the heads on my Evo are 12mm plugs,yeah costs quite a bit to ship stuff across the border...:eek:
  10. Lucifer

11. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

How do you build one? What parts are used?
    Thanks.
  12. Lucifer