1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Leaking Gas

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jun 22, 2010.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

This morning I came out in the garage and my bike is leaking gas out of the overflow line! What could be causing this? :witsend: :wtf:
  2. kstutzman

kstutzman New Member

Not sure if this helps but I have an 07 Street Glide and if I fill the tank completely full while holding the bike upright (no lean) and then park it, gas will leak out through the top and then leak out through the overflow that is built into the filling area. Scared the crap out of me the first time I noticed it... Same reaction as you...WTF!!!
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Did you just fill up the tank before you parked her in the garage. Over filled tank and the bike leaning over on its side stand can dump gas out the overflow tube.
  4. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

If your bike is carburated it could be that your float is stuck in the carb, sometimes happens from crap in your tank finding its way into the bowl. Sometimes you can get it unstuck by tapping it (the carb) with a screwdriver or wrench (just LIGHTLY, no need to dent it).

If your bike is EFI, I've no clue, other than check your fuel lines.
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

If it's leaking out of the TANK overflow then the tank is overfilled as said above,

If it's leaking out of the carb overflow then the float in the carb is stuck.

If the carb close the petcock ASAP, remove float bowl and check the float,
    sometimes they just stick, especially if sitting a while set float height and reinstall.
  6. JohnnyBiker

I think this is what is going on, went outside and here it stopped leaking. In the pail that I had set to catch the gas there was particles in there so I'm going to run some carb cleaner through there. :D
  7. FLHTbiker

If it is leaking from the carb I would pull the bowl off, clean it and reset the float. Good luck
  8. hotroadking

I agree, first turn offa da fuel
    den, no smoka de cigars..

Remove the air cleaner and backing plate and remove the four bolts that secure the bowl to the carb, (if your carb has a center bolt in the bottom of the bowl remove it to drain the carb.

Then lower the bowl from the carb, clean it out with some carb cleaner, if it has dirt in the bowl you won't get it out by starting the bike and running it with cleaner, you need to clean out the bowl.

If the bike has been sitting and you have the stock petcock it's vacuum operated meaning it won't flow gas unless the engine is running or the petcock is fubar'd.

YOu might consider pulling the petcock and draining the tank to make sure the
    stuff isn't coming from inside the tank, and that the petcock screen is clean and intact not damaged letting dirt through...
  9. FLHTbiker

Hmm, maybe now is a good time to just pull the whole carb, and really clean it good (jets included), new gaskets, drain the tank like said above and be ready for trouble free riding this summer. You'll learn a lot when you do your own work and good time if you don't have one to get the service manual for your bike.
  10. JohnnyBiker

No the tank was not full. I had filled it up but then I took it out for a ride. About 60 miles). I did not notice anything the of course, just when I ws going to take it to work this morning.
  11. JohnnyBiker

I can appreciate the reaction you had because mine was exactly the same! Never saw that crap before.:witsend:
  12. JohnnyBiker

Why would you have to reset the float? i am going to take the carb off and clean it really good, but that is going to have wait until I get some parts in so I can do that. Again, for now, I am just going to run some SeaFoam through it to get it going, once I have the parts I want, then It is coming off! :angry:
  13. JohnnyBiker

The only thing stock about my whole air/fuel set up is the carb. Other than that I can get at everything pretty easily. I am going to take the petcok off and take a look at the filter inside and have a look see to see how gunked up it is. :D
  14. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

in reading these posts.....have we decided if the carb overflow or tank overflow was the culpret???? maybe i missed which one...........and i like your new avatar..........got a larger pic ya can post????????
  15. JohnnyBiker

It is the carb overflow. I went to go and take the bowl off only to discover that one the screws is stripped. :gah::witsend: So I decided just to use the seafoam. I fired the bike up and there was no leaking from the overflow. I am going to make an appointment to get the bike in and get it cleaned, plus get that screw replaced so I take the fricken bowl off if I need to.:gah:
  16. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Johnny - while yer at it - check the inside of the tank - I think you mentioned something about the tank being full of crap in a earlier post. It's possible it still has some rust or something that will need removing before ya breath easier again. Had this happen on my previous bike - and ended up doing a Kreem coat on the inside to solve it.
  17. hotroadking

I missed the tank with crap post, if so, it needs to be cleaned
    same for the petcock,

Is it a stock petcock or high flow like a Pingle?

Remove the carb, turn it over use some small plyers or channel locks
    and turn the screw head from the side, get it out, it's short and this happens

Then replace all four bowl screws with compatable allen head bolts that you can get
    at any Ace hardware, makes removing the bowl easier.

As far as parts you shouldn't need anything to set the float, my guess is the bowl needs
    cleaning, remove it, check the operation of the float and make sure it is set properly.

No reason to give someone $80 to get a screw out.
  18. JohnnyBiker

I just do not have the time to do it, that is my issue. Everytime that I am ready to go do it, I am interrupted, or it is really late and I have to go to work, I am also a college student so I do have studies that need to get done. Not only that, I would have to readjust my cables, I do not have any luck with cables! The book that I have for my bike is not that good, so I am not confident that I will be able to follow properly. For me, at this time in life for me, it is worth 80 bucks to have someone else do it.
  19. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

a factory service manual is cheaper........................just sayin...
  20. JohnnyBiker

I just do not have the time.:(