1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Leaky Fork Seal

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Shadows, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Shadows

Shadows New Member

My ride is a 2002 Heritage Softail - fitted a set of 2" overs for that extra bit of clearance. Brand new from Rollies Qld. - Fitted new HD seals in the process. 500k later the right seal starts to leak - fitted new seals. - Same problem repeats itself 1000k later - same seal , same fork ??? - Baffled ??? -
    Anyone got some clues as to why. The leak is slow and bike still rides fine but the oil film on RHS is constant. -- HELP !!:cussing:
  2. Clem

Clem New Member

Take a close look at the tube. Any scratch or burr on the surface of the tube within the seal travel area will cut a notch in the seal lip. If you find something, don't file or go after it with abrasive paper or cloth - borrow your wifes nail buffer and 'buff' it off down to the no feel point. If it's worse than that - buy a new fork tube or be prepared to refill the fork oil more often. Usually a raised scratch can be buffed down to a point that the seal continues to work.

Do NOT try to replace these seals without the proper seal installer. Attempting to 'drive' the seal into the slider with anything other will destroy the seal.

Bill C.
  3. Shadows

Shadows New Member

Many thanks.
  4. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

if it is a gouge you may be able to use some jb type epoxy and buff smooth
  5. Shadows

Shadows New Member

OK - I'll try your remedies - and again , thanks - it's been a real pain in the but - so many H.D. shop " Eddie the Experts " telling me different fixes , like - your front forks are worn , buy new ones etc etc. - bikes only done 38000k
    ( 24000 miles your talk ) - and it's all been easy riding , good country roads and freeway stuff. - R & R - SHADOW. :)