1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Leaky rear shock

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by jazzhog, Apr 29, 2008.

1. jazzhog

jazzhog New Member

I found my left shock leaking on my 2001 fatboy. I Put H/D shocks on the bike when I bought it to lower the rear of the bike. Now the bike has about 18,000 miles and it seems that the left shock is leaking. My question is that what effect will that have on the bikes handling and also I have the original shocks that came with the bike can I just put a lowering kit on them to save on the dollars and how hard will it be to do conversion?
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

a bad shock will adversly affect the handling and safety of the bike and rider. a lowering kit is not a hard converson, if you have the proper tools and knowledge.................have fun and stay safe!!!!!:)
  3. jazzhog

jazzhog New Member

Leaky shock

Thanks for the advice Chuck, When you say proper tools I take it that you have done this before. Do you need to compress the shock when you dismantle it or just unbolt the stud and replace it with the longer one?

Removing the shocks of the bike is not a problem for me...
  4. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

Hey Chuck, He Would Need To Make The Shocks Longer For A Softail, Vs. Shorter On A Swing Arm Right? On My Swing Arm I Just Looked In A Catalog And Copied Some Lowering Brackets,didn't Like The Ride So, Then Just Made Some Struts, Don't Like The Way A Swing Arm Sways And Moves In Turns.
  5. Ultra Al

Ultra Al New Member

I had the same problem with my RK. Absolutely did not like the way it wallered going into a curve and I also wanted to lower it a bit. My solution was Progressive 440's, not a cheap fix but a very effective one. You can also adjust the firmness on the road without tools. I lowered my seat height about an inch and riding two up I do not bottom out. You can lower it even more but I think you would be bottoming out if you did. AL
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I don't recall any lowering kits for softails it's basically done by changing the shocks.

I have progressives on mine, 7 years old work great replaced the stock ones as they bottomed out all the time.

Look on ebay for a stock takeoff

JMO lowered looks good but you already have less corner clearance than a bagger or dyna so if you slam it the bike isn't going to handle as well.

Progressives are adjustable so you can slam it for bike night and raise it for riding.
  7. chucktx

you wont need to compress the shocks.....just do one side at a time, makes it easier..........:)
  8. jazzhog

jazzhog New Member

OK Chuck I bought the lowering studs for the 01 softail but in the instructions they are saying that you have to compress the shocks to do the job. I tried to remove the stud but that sucker won't budge. I never done this before so I don't know what to expect when I compress the shock. "JAZZ" :confused:
  9. jazzhog

jazzhog New Member

Just so you'll know Chuck, The shock has to be compressed to remove and replace the lowering stud. It was easy not complicated at all. Thanks for the respond Brother...;)
  10. RKBud

RKBud Active Member

I have an 06 RK Custom that I crashed a few months ago :gah: . It's all put back together :) but seems that the rear end wanders more that usual on uneven pavement. I took it back to the shop and they went thru it from the front wheel to the back wheel re-torquing everything but didn't find any one thing out of spec, but a little here and there out of torque. I have about 4,000 miles on the rear tire.
    Question:
    I am suspecting that one of my shocks are leaking but can't figure out how to trace it other than using soapy water on the connections and look for bubbles.

I'll have to spring for $40 bucks on a air pump...but I need one of those anyway.

Am I on the right track? Or does anyone have a suggestions?

Thanks
  11. chucktx

glad ya got it.............my response was for replacing in the stock position,,,,but now you know that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)
  12. jazzhog

jazzhog New Member

Don't no much about road kings but if they are air shocks you could probably check them with a tire air gage after a run. First check them before you go out make sure they both are equal then check them when you come back if one has less pressure then maybe that's the one that's leaking... Maybe??? Good luck "JAZZ"
  13. fxdxriderleo

fxdxriderleo Active Member

buddy, does your bike have rubber mounts for the engine. if so the rear one could have been damaged in the crash, but still look ok. but under stress of riding a crack or tear will give enough to effect ride.
  14. RKBud

RKBud Active Member

OK on the rubber mounts. When I took it back to the shop they did find that the motor mounts were not loose but out of torque spec. I'll investigate the damaged rubber mount. That makes sense. I guess that you can keep re-torquing but if the mount is cracked it will just wiggle loose. Correct?
  15. fxdxriderleo

fxdxriderleo Active Member

there are a coulpe companies that sell a stabilizer that hook to the transmission and frame with a yoke that still isolates the engine vibrations, yet hold the frame and engine stable. i was just reading about it. it looked like a straight forward install. pull some bolts out of the trans. install one part, bolt the other part to frame, add the third part. and all done. i just can't find the mag. they are on page 563 of the new j&p catalog ,the one with the cop bike on front.