1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Leather up keep

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cowboy, Dec 24, 2008.

1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

just wondering how all take care of there leathers I use shoe polish & mink oil on all my leathers , treat them like my boots & they seem to work better & last a bit longer (if not stolen or lost)
  2. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

I have always used high quality saddle soap and other leather care stuff made for those who ride horses. The equestrian stuff tends to be really good and has been tested and fit for purpose for many more years than there were motorcycles.

The HD leather care stuff seems just as good.

I am sure there are other motorcycle leather products.
  3. Thunder99

Thunder99 New Member

In addition to what Ashley said, any leather store will have leather care products as well. Just like with the bike, preventative care goes a long way. ;)
  4. amf4399

amf4399 Active Member

I have tried many products and it seems to me no matter what I try my jacket dries up pretty quickly. I would like to know how to brand my name into my jacket. I manage to have this one for over five years now and haven't lost it or had it stolen.
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

used 70wt castor oil.........:roflmao:
  6. ruffrider11

ruffrider11 New Member

Is that a dino or synthetic;) ;)
  7. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

dino!!!!:)
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I used a lot of different things mink oil, snake oil, Doc baileys el blackodefingers stuff.

Best stuff I found from a guy that makes the Heritage Saddlebag Inserts to get rid of saggy bags...

You get this stuff at the local Tack Shop, It's called Leather New the link is just to an online shop I have not used this shop I bought it locally.

Anyway to put in these hard plastic inserts you have to clean up and soften the leather, bags are 8 years old and out of shape, a couple of days of soaking them with the spray they finally softened up and were plyable much easier to put the inserts in.

Also it really cleaned them up, pulled a ton of the Doc Baileys black off the leather, and it ended up looking brand new, unreal.

Horsemen use it for leather saddles, and it really works. They also have a balm that has a water repellent built into it, works great, clean with leather new once a month and then hit it with the balm.

You can use it on all leathers.
  9. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I have tried many a different product & some I liked Doc B stuff was a mess to work with the ole black fingers then I read it it's full of wax Then there's leather like I think that the right name , I sencie gone back to the tried & true of shoe polish & mink oil or saddle soap both work good for me , I had a leather jacket once for about 20 yrs then someone took it off my bike one night at a coffee shop it was still rolled up & tied to my handle bars anyway the jacket looked like new , just from shoe polish & saddle soap once a season
  10. Thunder99

Thunder99 New Member

Doc Bailey's makes a good product. I also like Skidmore's. They have a "Bikers Edition" leather cream and beeswax waterproofing that works very well.
  11. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I can't stand a thief, there cowards and a ignorant excuse for a human being. There lower than the lowest animal on earth and should be hung by their thumbs with a sign that says I'm a thief then have their foreheads branded I'm a thief. :D

I used Doc B on my 01 Springer saddle bags when I first got it, really helped bring back the leather color and look.