1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

LED Tail Light

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Jan 24, 2008.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

2. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

looks nice...bit spendy...course, have not done any price comparisons, so do not know if price is "in the park".
  3. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Price is a shade high, but I DO like LED taillights, they are very bright. I did however pay alot more for my dual iron cross setup.....:( (but I do like it!)
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

to get the full effect of the led's ya got to lose the stock lens.....to reflective............:)
  5. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

I agree with Chuck, I used the LED light mounted into a piece of black metal, bolted to tabs I welded into the back of the fender. Nice and bright!
  6. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Been ridin for years, but I used to live in B'hama, we didn't see as many folks gittin run over on a motorcycle. Seems like everytime I turn around here somebody is turning in front of them on a motorcycle or plowing into them. I was telling some folks that I was at a Walgreens and seen a dude comein with his arm in a sling and his eyes were black and he looked like he has been on a hell of a drunk. He had a real good lookin blonde with him and they were at the pharmacy dept. I looked at him and asked, Man Please ! What did yer wife tell you that you couldn't do and you did anyway. He replied man you would never believe it. I was on my Harley driving down the road in Houston. I pulled up to a redlight and stopped and put my feet down, that's the last thing I remember till I woke up on a gerney board in the operating room.
    A women hit me from behind and knocked me threw the redlight.
    I said man please how is yer bike, he said toatled. He said I got a broke collar bone and not boing to be able to work for a few months.

So I'm just more liary about folks around me. Seems like somebody is always wanting to come into my lane. I keep having folks in the country pull out of a station right in front of me. Heck I got a headlight and running lights on too.
    So I don't want to dog my bike out but I'm interested in visibility.

:gah:
  7. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I'm not saying the guy did anything wrong, but that's one of the things I stress when teaching the MSF class. When you're stopping at a light or a sign or in traffic, always look in your mirrors and keep enough room in front of you for a way out. Same thing for tailgators - keep room in front of you. It's not 100%, but the more you are aware, the better your chances are.

That being said, I've taken some extra precautions. I cut some flames out of retro-reflective tape and put them on my saddlebags shortly after a mechanic I used to work with got hit from behind at night while he was turning. The van was going about 50. My ex was on the ambulance that night and can't believe he made it. He'll never be the same, and he was wearing a helmet. The helmet didn't do a whole lot in that impact. He was riding a customized Sportster and had removed the turn signals; just had a small taillight. Anyway, I've been told that my flames light up very noticeably at night when hit by any light. Whitehorse Press sells some retro-reflective tape that's black, so you can put it on anything that's black and it's real discreet until it gets hit with light at night.

pic of reflective flames
  8. chucktx

abby i bet those flames really do help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

question....what the heck is that big ol pink thing stickin up between the handle bars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:roflmao: :roflmao:
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Might be what she keeps in the night table to scare snoopy visitors off with? LOL

Flames are a good idea,

I went the Kuryakyn Panacea light, the whole system led tail light, and led turn signals. Expensive? Well consider I have a black softail it's hard enough to see at night so I want it lit up from the rear, the Panacea has the built in flash when you first brake. I recommend it big time.

Buddy was rear ended and not hurt knocked off the bike at an intersection, guy stopped behind them rolled forward when the light turned, but my friend couldnt' move because the car in front didnt' move when the light turned. In a car it would have been a gentle tap, on the bike several G's worth of damage. Guy in the truck was appologetic and a rider as well.

Back to the question, It's cool, but at $99? I'd opt for the panacea and get the turn signals at a discount from Jenny at Charlies HD.
  10. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

That's my handy-dandy water bottle holder. I figured that out on Hwy 50 in Nevada when I didn't want to stop to take a drink and then couldn't figure out what to do with the bottle when I had to stop. I wish I'd figured that out back in South Dakota.

I'm sure if I was riding one of those mini-vans some of y'all have, I'd have a cup holder. :D
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  11. gutierg

gutierg New Member

I not only had the LED tail light installed, but I also went one step further by having the whole assembly light up, when I touch my brakes. That means that the V-Rod large led light comes on, as well as the two turning signals coming on as well.

I just want the dope behind me to see the motorcycle in front of him/her. Hopefully, they will see it?

I also adhere to Abby's comment, leave some room between you and the car/truck behind you, so as to be able to get away, should something unexpected come along. I also keep my bike in first gear while at the light for the same reason.

Regards,
    German
  12. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Good point. We teach that too. When we do the quick stop exercise, we teach the students to downshift to first and give that reason. It's also on the test. You can tell when they failed because they try to take off and stall it out.
  13. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

oooooooo:(

Your not supposed to put it in neutral at the light ?? I gotta take one of them courses.:banghead:
  14. chucktx

if ya ride behind me at night, i can be seen about 1/2 mile away....on a straight road with nothing obstructing your view of me. i have very bright blue led's tucked in by my saddle bags.....every one that is behind me has commented on how bright and that my blue lights are the first thing they see. i have been running blue/purple lights on the rear of my bikes for 40+ years and have not been stopped for them....the do not blink, rotate, ect. has passed every inspection i have been through.....even back in the 80's in daytona.......ya cant have too many lights on the back of your bike!!!!