1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Lift

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jan 9, 2012.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Since cam companies measure lift different from each other, I am curious as how one would convert a cam that was advertised to be measured at .050 lift to one that was measured at .053 lift?

To be a little more specific. I have a computer program that allows me to enter a lot of different specifications of an engine. One of those specs is cam lift. When this program was written, the standard was to measure the cam shaft at .050" lift. today, most cams are measured a 0.053" lift. To get a more clear picture of what my cam shaft is doing, can I alter the alter the cam specifications accurately to reflect the change?

Example. The cam that I have in my Sportster is a 0.497" lift measured at 0.053" lift. Since my program does not allow me to alter their specification, can I enter 0.494" to accurately reflect true valve lift for more accurate numbers?
  2. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

there are a confusing amount of variables to cam specs. ( total lobe lift, needs to be multiplied by rocker ratio). (duration at a specific amount of lift usually at .053.) lobe seperation, and lobe c/l. nightnrider has some good tips and info. talked to craig at black widow cams today, great help on a choice on my evo, very busy dude but answered some of my questions like gear mesh , suggested i send my gear and he would put on cam before grind. when i talked gear mesh to some other people got a ???? maybe i overthink sometimes but better ask a silly question than do a F/U.
  3. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

sorry to continue- lift is lift. the .053 is for duration at that lift. the ramp of the lobe will control the speed of opening and closing of the valves. ride all day= less aggresive. (sat night more aggresive= harder on valve train but love the sound at idle and power
  4. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

If measuring duration at .050 lift instead of .053 that same cam would show a longer duration measured at .050 than if measured at .053

All it really tells you is the number of crankshaft degrees between the point where the valve crosses. .053 lift while opening and again crosses .053 lift while closing. So it tells you how long it's open.
  5. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

So then do I alter the duration value to have it accurately depicted?
  6. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Yeah...Leineweber typically advertised their cams with durations at .020...I could never figure out how to convert theirs to .053 to get the duration I was familiar with and to compare with other cams...
    Find that formula and you should be good to go with accurate values