1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Lifters

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cardboard, Aug 23, 2012.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Here is something to think about
    Here is what Black Opp said about lifters

A few facts about lifters. There is an expression in the lifter industry. ‘Hydraulic lifters are the best oil filters on the market’.* In simple terms, that means dirt can get in a lifter through the oil feed, but can’t get back out. A lifter will capture dirt particles as small as 1 micron. A top quality fine oil filter only captures dirt 5 microns or larger. So clean engine assembly is a must.
    Over 90% of failed lifters are a result of dirty oil. Wear as fine as 50 millionths of an inch (that is 1/2 of 1/10th of ONE thousanth of an inch can make a lifter fail. And it takes only seconds.
    Clean engine assembly, clean oil and priming of the lifters before initial start up is essential.
  2. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

roller lifters dont fail high spring pressures dirt and un even valve stem hight kills roller lifters . got a set in my wifes camaro makes 460 hp same set i had in my small block when i pulled the cam and lifters out of that motor stuck it in her motor that cam and lifter set up had 135.000 miles on it . that was 8 years ago still running the same set up.she runs the piss out of that car got put tires on the ass end every 4 months . havent failed yet . good clean assembly and good quality oil and filter . if the cam casting is good quality and not too much spring pressure is set up the roller needles last a good long time and the roller surface wont take a crap there is very little friction on the roller lifter it self
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

:roflmao:No kidding...heard that phrase from my father this past spring when I was polishing my flywheels:rolleyes:

Oil filter ratings are kinda vague too....there's "nominal" rating like the HD filter's claim of 5 microns... it will trap particles 5 microns in size but after multiple passes and "absolute" ratings like the Flo reusable filter I'm running now with a 20 micron rating meaning no particles larger than 20 microns will get through, period...so a nominal 5 micron filter could let particles as large as 30 microns pass through on the 1st or 2nd or even 3rd pass but will trap as small as 5 microns on say the 3rd or 4th pass...but an absolute rating of 20 microns will trap that same 30 micron particle on the first pass...so which filter traps more??

and Yep the lifters will last a long long time if you do regular maintenance... fresh oil and a quality filter and reasonable spring pressures....like BP already posted:D
  4. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

A lot of folks keep having Screaming Eagle lifter failure. The roller is breakin off the bottom of the lifter.
    I have read about it and heard about it. I know folks running them with no problems oh.
    One dude had a 259 cam installed at the dealer and had the Black Opp lifters installed by the dealer.
    Myself I'm not a fan of SE EPA cams.

Lifters

I like Woods directional lifters myself.:rant:
    That is why I posted this.
  5. prodrag1320

prodrag1320 Active Member

always have had good luck with S&S lifters,