1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

light pinging

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by samvan, Jul 13, 2015.

1. samvan

samvan Active Member

I have a 117 with 10:8 compression. What could be causes of light pinging and tingling noises when rolling along at 75 mph in 6th gear and slowly roll the throttle and the noises are present only between 78 to 86 mph. No noises above 86 or below 78 mph. I stopped and added some gumout octane booster to the 91 octane gas but the exact noises continued to occure at the exact same speeds.,,, Any thoughts?
  2. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Believe it or not I had the same noise at about 65=75. Turned out to be a loose heat shield.
  3. samvan

samvan Active Member

will double check heat sheilds since they were removed recently, but noise seemed more topside internal.
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Could be a lean condition especially on hotter days.
  5. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

As mentioned, check all of the simple things first. After you do that and don't find anything loose, then start looking at engine issues. I am assuming that your 10.8:1 compression is static and not your corrected compression? Correct?
  6. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

how long have you had the motor in the bike and or is it something from the start or a new development? carb or fi?
    FLHTbiker likes this.
  7. samvan

samvan Active Member

just had the cases bored for 117 kit just got the motor together. have the tts master tuner Had it dyno tuned at 500 miles. have roughly 1100 miles on motor.The temp was high 90's on a 500 mile trip.
  8. samvan

samvan Active Member

Bike ran and runs good. was curious about the noise sounding like ( low octane gas at acceleration) but at the speeds between 78 & 86 mph only. Noise was low key
  9. samvan

samvan Active Member

noise only appears at acceleration between those speeds whether slow roll of the throttle or a good twist. More pronounced with a quick twist. Could it be trying to somewhat lope while crusing at 75 mph in 6th gear with that big bore engine
  10. FLHTbiker

Had the same thing happen on a built 03 Ultra I had and as it turned out the tuner had it set to lean.
    If you head up a uphill climb and give it fuel does it make that sound?
  11. samvan

samvan Active Member

have not traveled any hills. I am wanting to think it may be the gas. If it was running a bit lean wouldn't it occur at speeds other then between the speeds of 78 and 85 only? It only happens when the speed has leveled out while running along at 75 mph in 6th gear and slightly or good twisting of the throttle to pass or simply accelerate a bit. My main concern is does it sound like a ensuing problem. Have heard suggestions to not even run in 6th gear under 70-75 mph with the big bore engine ? I am new with engines other then stock.
  12. FLHTbiker

I would think that the gas would also do it at other speeds, especially when are in other gears.
  13. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

If try gasoline without 10% ethanol first (if you have it in your area ).
    www.pure-gas.org.
    You should find listings in your state where it's available.
  14. samvan

samvan Active Member

May have found cause for light ticking type noise while accelarating from cruising in 6th gear from approx 78 thru 86 mph. Have a slight leaking header exhaust leak at rear cylinder that may be causing change with lean problems.
  15. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

yup, that would do it
    FLHTbiker likes this.
  16. samvan

samvan Active Member

Replaced header gasket. Problem seems to be solved. The problem made bike run a bit more hot also. All appears ok now