1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Local fatal accident, motorcycle rear ended...

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Sechott, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Sechott

Sechott Active Member

2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

at 69 don't think the van driver was texting ,But I would make him have his eyes checked ,
  3. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

That sux...
  4. Sechott

Sechott Active Member

This area use to be so safe, 10-15 years ago I could ride the secondary roads with only light oncoming traffic. Now these roads have traffic lights every couple miles making rear ends statics much higher. I always leave about 15 feet from car in front so I can escape the car approaching. I remember going to the side of the road twice because it looked like a car approaching was not slowing.
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Yep, got to leave a escape route between you and the cage in front of you just in case of that. I also don't put it in neutral but instead always keep it in first gear with clutch pulled in. You just never know when it could happen.
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

1+
  7. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

+2
    But I am really F N tired of "I didn't see him" and getting off on that claim. I hope the husband survives and heals, then gets a good attorney to sue the crap out the guy so it hits all the papers and tv to be a lesson to at least one who refuses to "...see him".
  8. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

I agree...I see that excuse all the time...Enough...I wonder what would happen if I was crusing down the street on my bike, hit some little kid on their tricycle, killed the kid and said I did not see it? I think I would be in deep chit...
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

LIght up yer rear, it makes a difference

[YOUTUBE]iFJMCHLI6Tg[/YOUTUBE]

Harley-Davidson | BAL

I put the conversion kit on my LED tour pack, all three on the back are brakes plus two LED's down by the fender, and now I have two TS on the back on each side, one on the Tour Pack one lower..

YOu can't light up yer arse enough....
  10. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Yep, I got me a brightass light a few years ago in Daytona. Charlie46 turned me on to them. I got it set on brightest and fastest settings and while stopped on the brake it continually flashes intermittantly. No cops have broken my chops over it either. Years ago I had a "Cyberlite". Really cool brake light that flashed amber and the harder you were stopping the faster and brighter it flashed. A engineer in CA had designed it and sold it. Can't find them anymore. It worked great!

BTW, I know that ain't you!
  11. FLHTbiker

Don't matter how bright or how big you are. I was in my MAC Tools dealer I was stopped at a light. A MAC Tools truck is bright yellow and white at the back and I had a huge section of chromed diamond plating along the lower part of it. Guy hit me so hard it threw me back of my seat really hard. Guy said, I didn't see you. Could not freaking believe it. :rolleyes:
  12. hotroadking

Yeah but this was at night. Bike looks to be softail. Single center light. N
    If he did not have brakes on then it's hard to see.

Those tombstone are damn near invisible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

People "don't see" because they ain't paying attention to the road conditions and the vehicles on them.
    Years ago in Califoria, a woman was trying to insert a cassette into the player and ran over and killed 4 bicyclists. Her excuse: I didn't see them.
  14. FLHTbiker

Well wether night or day these people are preoccupied with other things. They need to pay attention of their surroundings. To many phones, texting, loud music, pretty girls for guys to look at and for some girls to:rolleyes:
    People just need to pay attention period.

You'll laugh at this one. A couple of years ago I'm sitting at a left turn light behind other cages while on my Springer with a car to my right stopped further up at the light also. I happen to look to my right and see this guy staring at my bike who is not stopping or slowing down. Well he slams into the car in front of him that was stopped at the light. Hit them really hard. Yea, the guy was not paying attention to his surroundings. He new a great looking bike and was day dreaming of probably being on a bike like that. If people would just pay attention:cussing:
  15. hotroadking

Yeah happened to us, We were with another couple pulling up to a light
    I heard screeching tires behind us, and in a second was on the throttle and running
    the light, lucky it was in the next lane, two cars pounded.

Buddy was rear ended in daytona guy behind just let off the brake and hit him
    at a light, nobody hurt lotta damage to the bike guy in the truck rode, and was all
    upset, knowing my buddy that was hit I figured he went ballistic but he didn't.

Last year the owner of Diamond Cut Heads was at Bike Week, early
    rear ended by a gal in a Navigator, didn't see them sitting at a red light.
    Right
    Killed his wife on the back...

JMO get as much light on the bike in the back as you can
    I had a softail and put the Kuryakyn panacea with panacea
    turn signals on, made into running and brake LED combo with flash.

Big difference between them and stock.

[​IMG]
  16. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

'Happened to me. Sore hip, Lots of gamage to bike. Got one of them BrightAss tail lights,set to rapid flash and run.brake and turn. Should be standard equip.IMO
  17. FLHTbiker

Sorry wont help, they will still get us cause they just don't pay attention.:banghead:
  18. hotroadking

I disagree to some extent, yeah if you have a texting drunk teenager in an SUV or anyone not paying attention you have a problem, but that problem existed anyway, the way brighter LED's flashing give you a better presence and may attract the attention of the driver.

Shidt happens but we can't simply say it's going to happen regardless, otherwise, why carry, you're gonna get robbed or mugged anyway so no reason to carry for defense..

A bright light is a defense, it might give you the edge...
  19. FLHTbiker

Your biggest asset to keep from being rear ended is you. Don't sit directly behind a cage but give yourself an escape route but sit back to one side or the other depending on your best advantage, pay attention yourself, keep the bike in first gear. I've seen so many guys on bikes that pull directly behind the vehicle in front of them with their radio on full and there bouncing around like a pin ball machine. We here call it the Stevie Wonder style. :rolleyes:

You gotta be on the defensive all the time, never let your guard down.
  20. hotroadking

Yep you have to be aware
    and you have to make them aware...