1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Lone Star Rally

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Goose, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Goose

Goose New Member

2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

absofrikinlutly!!!!!!!!! :D i be the one on the black harley!!!! lol lol ;)
    chuck
  3. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

Hmmmm

Hey now that looks like FUN!!!! I do not know what my weekend looks like for that weekend.....due to "student status" for another couple weeks after that, pretty much out of my control. IF I have it off, AND I can get a kitchen pass......I may try to make it for a day or 2 of it......doubt I could make the whole thing due to work tho!
  4. SK

SK New Member

BTW AFNurse..what kind of classes are you taking? I'm just starting in the nursing portion of my degree at UNLV this semester..nutrition. Starting next semester it's all nursing classes.
  5. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

classes....

well, I am sorta ahead of you on that power curve. I am actually already board certified as an RN. Nursing school is now a thing of the past....THANK GOD!!! I have done a few different types of nursing both civilian and military and am now taking a military class, 12 weeks in length. It is a "Crash course" on Neonatal Intensive Care. It is a combination of classroom and clinicals. We have about 4 weeks left, and in the first 8 weeks we have had about 4 weeks of each....in the 4 weeks of class, we have gone though an entire text book that is DEDICATED to NICU nuring. The format is OUTLINE, so no extra reading. EVERYTHING in the D*MN text book is important!! First text book that didn't have any "fluff/fill"...... it has been painful, but I find that it is rewarding so far! I will get no degree out of this, and in 1 year or so I can take the certification test for NICU (bean points/brownie points), but I DO get about 270 continuing credit hours for a 12 week course....overall not bad!! may even see how many masters credits I could get out of that in a Masters Nursing program.....never know!!! :rolleyes:

Good luck in your program. It can be very challenging, however, very rewarding. Let me know how you are doing!!!
  6. Goose

Goose New Member

I've got to see how busy I am, too, that weekend, but think I should be able to make a day trip Saturday out of it. It's only about 2 hours up the coast by way of Surfside/blue water highway and the toll bridge.

Anyhow, AFNurse, if you can get to ride, contact me. You could ride down here Friday or something. It's about a 3 hour ride from your house to mine. We could ride up Saturday morning early to the rally. I doubt there'll be any affordable lodging on the island. Might have tent space at the state park out on west beach, don't know. I figured on just making a day trip of it. Could contact cousins in Angleton about staying over I guess, but it'd be just about as easy to ride back here. Angleton's a little closer, though. Might just take a little camping gear and see if we can get space in the park. If they won't even let us tent, we can at least get day passes at the park and tent on the beach down the road. Beach camping sux, though, all that gritty sand. Yuk.

I know my way around Galveston, though, so it should be a good time. They have quite a few events scheduled that sound neat.
  7. Goose

Goose New Member

Uh, which one. ROFLMAO! Perhaps you should look for me. I'll be likely the only idiot on an SV650S Suzuki. I might get the Wing repaired before then, but I ain't gonna hold my breath on that, LOL! Still haven't ordered the top end gasket kit I need to put it back together. Friggin' head gasket on the left side gave out on me a few weeks ago and started blowing water out of the radiator. Water was disappearing and there were no leaks anywhere. :eek:

It'll have a Ventura a rack/pack on the back (hey, that rhymes) and a Zero Gravity dark tint double bubble" wind screen, but this is the bike. If AFNurse is with me, I'll be the SV with the EG Standard black Harley bagger riding with me. Probably won't miss THAT, LOL.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2005
  8. chucktx

ok, i think i remember seeing one like that at the harley drags a while back. i have a new 06 flht also. i still have the pan, but 40 years of tech. is awsome!!!! :) i lived on galveston for a few years, then lamarque, for a few more before puttin down roots up here in rye. maybe we will run into each other.....
    chuck
  9. Goose

Goose New Member

Yep, that woulda been me at the Harley drags.

I grew up in Jones Creek, which is between Freeport and Brazoria. I spent some time now and again in Galveston as a youth. They finally built the toll bridge over San Louis Pass, which helped.

I went to school there at the Fort Crocket campus of Texas A&M University back in the summer of 1974. I was taking marine fisheries classes there, required of a fisheries management major. I spent some time in the strip clubs after hours. :D Galveston has a lot to do for touristas even without a rally. It's a cool and relatively little known, for some reason, vacation spot.
  10. chucktx

are you in law enforcement?? such as game warden or with tpwd??? oh ya, the bars in galveston......moanin monas on the strand....she is gone now, then the poop deck, which is still there......lots of good times....... :D
    chuck
  11. SK

SK New Member

Thanks..I'm looking forward to graduating hopefully in less than 2 years. Go for the Masters..you can be a Practitioner when you get out..as close to a doctor without the hassles or worries of malpractice. :eek: My teacher for my Nutrition class is a retired AF nurse officer. She's pretty sharp, and attractive too. She recently moved here from Tucson to teach at UNLV. I'm more stoked about this than I ever was about computer science 20 years ago. I do wonder how much the BS in computer science will help in nursing..hmmmm.

Any way..good luck on your class. We're discussing prenatal and infant nutrition right now.
  12. Goose

Goose New Member

No, I'm trained as a biologist, but never worked in the field other than for the Seadrift lab one summer and doing EPA abatement, water quality work for the plant here. I was doing environmental lab work for them. I've interviewed for a few fisheries tech/biologist jobs with TP&W, but the pay was pretty dismal. I got into it as a idealistic kid and after I figured out I'd have to make a living with it some day, started taking lots of chemistry electives so I could survive in the real world. :rolleyes: That, at least, did pay off.

I'm semi retired, no longer do plant work, and wrench tractors, bikes, lawnmowers, whatever now for spending money. I set my own hours. It's a lot more freedom than when I had a job. :D In ten years, I look forward to putting the wrenches up, except for my own stuff, and just chillin'. :D