1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Longer Range Headlight

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JimP, Mar 4, 2007.

1. JimP

JimP New Member

I have a 2000 Classic with stock headlight and want something with more range at night. From what I've come across there is an HD dual bulb HID light which has greater range than a standard halogen bulb light but the Kuryakyn Xe7R 7" HID light by Xsighting seems to have much greater range and of course is cheaper than HD. I'm thinking of going with the Kuryakyn. Anyone have any comments on best light for most ilumination distance?
  2. diverreb

diverreb New Member

Dual Bulb Light

I tried the non-HID dual bulb from H-D, which was about $100.00, if I remember correctly. It was supposed to be significantly better than the standard bulb, according to the light pattern in the H-D catalog....

It wasn't! It was a total Rip Off. No matter how it was adjusted the standard bulb was brighter and did a better job. See if you can find someone who is happy with the HID before you spend the big bucks.

There are other options to throw more light on the road for less money. I just had a switch put in that allows me to run my high beam & spots together and if that's not enough you can add lights to the engine guards too. Just don't blind the drivers coming your way. :)

Richie
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I got the HD clear with bar & shield from the 05 modles in my 03 Darn neer twince the light , I got the idaa from my bro-in-law on his 00 model HD about $100 & it just plug's in
    :cheers:
  4. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

If you have the fixture/housing that allows for installation of a separate bulb (not sealed beam) then try a H4 halogen bulb. Since my model originally had a sealed beam, I bought a 7" fixture that was meant for a jeep which replaces the sealed beam. Installed a 90w Xenon bulb in the fixture and its pure white like a European sportscar and really lights up the road.

The halogen or xenon bulb should look like this:

Attached Files:

5. JimP

JimP New Member

I have compared the 7" high beam footprints as follows:

1. HD halogen headlamp 90 feet
    2. HD dual bulb halogen headlamp 120 feet
    3. HD dual bulb high intensity headlamp about 135 feet
    All the above info from the HD catalogue.

I have decided to go with the Kuryakyn 7" HID headlamp, a team effort between Kuryakyn and XSighting Lighting with a high beam footprint of 200 feet. Of course it is also a lot less expensive.

In mid May I'm off to Myrtle and we'll see how it works!
  6. Ted

Ted New Member

Whats wrong with you people? Take your sun glasses off when you driveing at night over 100 MPH. $100.00 for a headlight bulb.I still use a candle. But I only drive 25 MPH .Some times I See them sports cars at night and it's brighter than daylight.
    I buy you books and send you to school and all you want to do is eat the teacher.
    Later Ole Ted.
  7. stevenh

stevenh New Member