1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Lost a friend

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Hot01, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

A member of the CMA chapter I hang out with from time to time was in a motorcycle accident last night. Passed away this morning. Very sad. I didn't know him well, but he was a good guy who left behind a lot of people who cared about him, including a wife and (grown) kids. I realized how much I wanted to blame it on a cage, but it wasn't the case this time. Maybe it's better not having to be angry at someone who did something stupid and killed a biker.

:(
  2. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

Sorry to hear about his untimely death. 3 outta 5 accidents round here are caused by cages. Wish I could say it was more too. The MSF course should be a requirement to ride a bike. Could save a few more lives. My best to you and his family...:)
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I just hate hearing about any motorcycle accident and especially when it involves a death. I wished every rider had to take a MSF course before getting their endorsement Unfortunately even taking a MSF course does not insure against being at fault in an accident. I lost a close friend a few years back she was the passenger on a bike and the rider had just taken an MSF course a week prior to that. I agree that the majority are caused by cagers and wished that cage drivers had to take some kind of training about motorcycles on the road. But shoot they smash into each other all the time to.
    Really sorry to hear about this Abby.
  4. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about this
  5. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Saddened to hear about this.
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

very sorry to hear this...thoughts and prayers to his family........
  7. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

The guy was a good rider. One of those times when he was trying to get somewhere quickly probably. The traffic on I-25 sucks and is dangerous on a good day.

Especially after my accident, I find that we try to find some reason why it happened to that person and it won't happen to us. I wish it was that easy. I know for mine, I'm glad it was one of the few times I wasn't paying attention, because any attempt to avoid the van coming up behind me would have resulted in a worse crash for me and would likely have been deemed my fault. It doesn't matter if we've taken a class or not, none of us are perfect and we will all have times that we aren't on our game 100%. We can only hope that circumstances are for us. Riding is risky, but clearly worth it, or we wouldn't be doing it.
  8. RKBud

RKBud Active Member

I am sorry to hear about your loss. I just went thru loosing my friend that was riding just ahead of me a few weeks ago. The sick feeling in your stomach never goes away completely. Talking about it helps but there are no words that really help. Just knowing that you have friends by your side for support makes a big difference. My heart and prayers got out to you and the family. You have many friends here is we are needed.
    Buddy
  9. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Sorry to hear that Buddy. That must have been awful.
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Sorry to hear about it.

However I see a story here about something that might help others?

Maybe you can turn your feelings and the facts into something that will help save another life... make his death not a total loss on the world....

Power of words....

Family would probably like that.
  11. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

sorry to here about the loss and your sure hit the nail on the head about I25 or any hwy from ft collins to pueblo, it can be a crp shoot
    may be a new section in biker chick as a rememberance section
  12. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

So sorry to hear about your friend. It serves to remind me to keep as sharp as I can and not to let my guard down too much when on the road with my scoot.
  13. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

It has had a positive impact on me. I went to the funeral yesterday. Right there I decided no more dicking around. I've lived a full life, no doubt, but if I go while I'm still working for the man, I won't be happy. Tonight I signed up to teach as many classes a month that I'll need to make my current salary. The scary thing is, that's about 8 - 10 days a month I'll have to work doing something I love as opposed to 20 - 22 days a month being somewhere I hate. Life is too short.
  14. chucktx

that is great news!!!!! congrats and all the good luck i can send your way!!! i have all the confidence in the world about you.....i know you can do this......if ya need anything, all you need to do is ask !!!!!!! :) :) :)
  15. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Abby from what i've read about/from you here I know you can do it with ease, Does you old 20 day job have the bennies / thats all I could think of mabe loosing , not sure if the teaching job would have them good luck & head on to your future :cool:
  16. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Thanks for the votes of confidence.

No bennies, but they suck so bad here I won't be losing much. That was one of the things that hit me when I got in the wreck. I might as well have no insurance at all between the high co-pay and the fact that they haven't paid for anything - even though they'll get repaid. The company also makes us take 5 days off at half pay every year, which wasn't too bad until they told us we have to take it for a complete pay period - Thursday through Wednesday. :cussing: I'm so sick of committing so much of my valuable time to corporate entities that don't give a rat's a$$ about me.

BTW, it was suggested I apply for an m/c sales job at Thunder Mtn by someone who can simply say the word and it happens. I need to find out more about it, but if I can do it part time, I probably will. This happened after my talk the other night. :D
  17. amf4399

amf4399 Active Member

Sorry to hear about your loss. What is meant by "cage" never heard that tern before.
  18. TM103

TM103 Active Member

amf, a cage is our name for a car or truck. Welcome to the group, and enjoy.:)
  19. chucktx

as cowboy said......it comes from being "caged up" in an enclosed vehicle.....:)
  20. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I'ed be checking into the TM H D to see if part time was open to you it just might help your biker mag & them at the same time :D go for all you can get from them