1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

LOUD pipes needed

Discussion in 'The Polling place' started by Peyts, Oct 9, 2007.

?

Which slip-on pipes are LOUDEST, with a great bark?

1. Vance & Hines

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Tailgunner

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Rinehart

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. Cycle Shack

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. Python

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. Supertrapp

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  7. Cobra

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Another brand (let me know which brand)

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Peyts

Peyts New Member

Looking for help! I am looking for a LOUD set of pipes, with a great bark and deep-throaty sound, for my 2007 Harley ElectraGlide Classic. Which ones, from your experience, are loudest? Are there others that are louder?
  2. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

I like the Vance and Hines Staggered, but I do not think they'll work on your new bike. Nice throaty, bark like sound. I really like them, but I do know that a buddy of mine has a set of Rineharts, and they are louder than mine... I think I have a hearing problem caused by tooo many Dead shows sitting next to Jerry the Garcia's speaker... Those high decibils did thee job!!!:)
  3. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Put a Thunderheader on it if you wanna make noise....great pipe for hi- po motors..if you're going mild on the motor but want a bit of a bark and good performance a pro pipe from Vance and hines does the job nicely, The Bassani two into one works pretty good too. You'll notice that all the pipes mentioned are two into ones, they'll also pull some more out of your motor. you're on a big decker now and two up, some pipes will get you and your motor down the road better than others.
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Sleepy is right on about those pipes. If you want to keep the look of duels than either vance and hines or better is the Rineharts for noise.
  5. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

I have the V&H true duals. Nice throaty sound when cruzing and a loud bark when you crack the throttle. However, my brother in-law has the Rinehart true duals. They are obnoxiously loud to the point that I refuse to ride behind him. Even riding 50 feet behind him they hurt your ears when he cracks the throttle. He gets a lot of complaints from chapter members. They won't ride behind him either. Loud pipes are nice, but too loud is annoyoing.
  6. FLHTbiker

I know what you mean about Rinehart pipes. I have the V&H Ovals and they are loud but not obnoxious. A chapter member in our chapter has the Rinehart's on his Ultra and the same thing. He gets a lot of complaints and I hate riding behind him. Can't even hear my own music on my Ultra when I ride behind him.
  7. Peyts

Peyts New Member

Ringo, FLHT...

I gotta say that, based on your comments about the Rineharts, I am quite excited about the Rineharts! I have never heard them before, but they sound like what I might be looking for.

I LOVED the pipes on my last bike... I had a set of V&H straightshots slip-ons (06 HD XL1200). They sounded amazing! But I have been disappointed with the sound of the V&H pipes on friends' Road Kings. Well, they sound awesome, but they are not near loud enough. And I am not interested in pulling the baffles from the pipes.

I spoke to one buddy who has heard the Rineharts. He said that they are too loud, and that he knew of a guy who had to remove them because they were bugging him too much. I don't want that, obviously... but I want a set of pipes that are noticably louder than the other bikes in the pack.

Your thoughts?
  8. FLHTbiker

Well, Rineharts are a bit loud for me so I'll stick with my V&H Ovals.
  9. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

The Rinehart's are definately one of the loudest pipes out there. However you may find yourself riding at the back of the pack all the time because no one will want to ride behind you. Like I said, I refuse to ride behind people I know with Rinehart's on their bikes. But that's just my opinion, to each his own. Ya might want to find someone that has Rinehart's, and ride behind them for a while and then make your decision. JMO, loud pipes are nice, but no one likes obnoxious. Again, just my opinion, you have to make your own decision.
  10. FLHTbiker

That is some very good advice about riding behind someone with them. We have a member in our chapter on a V-rod that has Reinhart pipes on it. I don't know but the combination of the short pipes and being there Reinhart's they are extremely loud, obnoxious and everyone in the chapter complains to him. When were on a chapter ride and he shows up you can hear everyone say get in front of that guy or at our first stop people will ask if they can move up ahead of him. So being loud is not always the best thing and could make others not want to ride with you unless your at the back.
    My V&H ovals are loud enough for cage drivers to mostly hear me with the exception of the young ones that all you feel is the bass bouncing off your chest. Those guys can't hear anything so loud pipes does you no good in their case.
  11. Peyts

Peyts New Member

Does he have the cut off, side mounted pipes? Just wondering if the longer pipes, which are separated (as on the touring duals) would be a bit less obnoxious?
  12. FLHTbiker

They are the side mounted pipes. They are simply way to loud to ride behind.
  13. Peyts

Peyts New Member

Has anyone heard the Bub 7 Rinehart exhaust?
  14. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

All my comments have been directed at the Rinehart long true dual touring pipes. The only difference between long or short loud pipes is that, the short ones, if to loud are annoying if your ridng behind or next to the bike. The long pipes are usually annoying only if your riding behind them. This is not only tied to the Rineharts. My cousin has the V&H longshots with no baffles. I won't ride behind him either. The point is, there are limits to everything, if ya get to loud, it's no longer cool, it's just annoying.
  15. Peyts

Peyts New Member

OK, I am have narrowed my decision to the following slip-ons:

- Vance & Hines Turndowns
    - Rinehart
    - Bub 7

SUGGESTIONS? Again, I want LOUD, DEEP THROATY SOUND, GREAT BARK.

Just want to make as informed a decision as possible, that is why asking so much... just that I have never had the opportunity to hear any of these pipes in person (have heard V&H ovals on a Road King, and wasn't that impressed with noise level... they were kinda quiet).

Cheers!
  16. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

If you get a turndown muffler that will help with those riding behind you. They will still be loud but the sound will be directed downward instead of stright back. Both Rinehart and V&H offer them. I like the Rinehart Eagle Beak turndowns.
  17. FLHTbiker

I have heard that Rinehart is now selling their pipes with the quiet baffle installed. So if you order a set of Rinehart's you might want to check that out.
  18. Peyts

Peyts New Member

Thanks for the advice... didn't know that!
  19. FLHTbiker

I talked to one of the top engine builders on the west coast this afternoon. His name is Mike Stegmenn and the man knows his stuff. He even has a Dyno chart on the web with just about every configuration possible. I was talking to him about pipes today. He said for the baggers he has found that stock headers using the V&H Standard pipe (no Oval) with the slash cut tip produces the best overall performance with the best HP. He also takes the Y pipe and up inside where the two pieces come together there is a section of the upper pipe that sticks down into the other section and it causes some restriction inside the pipe. They take a die grinder and grind it out then Dyno it again. He said they usually see a 3-6 HP gain by doing this.

Here is a link to his Dyno charts.

Harley-Davidson | Dynamometer testing large dyno charts library

Check out the charts, kind of interesting. I think a couple of mine are even listed.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
  20. Peyts

Peyts New Member

FLHT: Very interesting stuff... an awesome resource! Thanks... I started checking some of it out tonight... will continue tomorrow.

In the meantime, have you heard anything about these RUSH pipes?