1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Loud Pipes

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Apr 30, 2007.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I rode both Saturday and Sunday this past weekend and had a couple of incidence's where caged drivers where being really stupid and one dump sh7t women on a bicycle.
    On Sunday I was mapping out the ride for our HOG chapters poker run this comping July. On several occasions there were drivers that started to pull out and when they heard my bike they immediately stopped. Another guy was riding with me on the route and he has stock mufflers. We were riding around a lake that also has a lot of families on bicycles peddling around on the roads with their kids. I went by this one family and with no problem, they heard me coming. My friend Rick who always rides slow and falls behind was passing up those same people and they all decided to cross the road and turned in front of him. He told me after coming to a sliding stop that the family told him that they did not hear him or see him. Hmm, maybe loud pipes also saves others lives as well.
  2. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

That's my theory FLHT, I like em loud! At least the A-holes on their phones can hear me comin! I don't care if I piss someone off, as long as I stay alive. (beside, I like pissin people off, it's one of my better qualities.....:roflmao: )
  3. Texas Road Glide

Texas Road Glide New Member

since i put on my 6" boom cans, i have not had any problems with cagers drifting in my lane, little ole ladies now stay on the curb, and talk about a conversation peice when you park the bike............

TRG
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

If I wanted not to be heard I would have got a goldwing:rolleyes: :D , I want to be heard As well be able to hear myself , even with my set up I have still had car's pull out in front of me or try to come in my lane , they just don't look for us :eek:

:cool:
  5. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

love em

love em loud. they're like music. what good is music if you can't hear it ? people who complain about loud pipes should stop and thank god they can hear, and think of the poor souls who can't hear. people who complain about load pipes should go invest in some ear-plugs. or better yet donate there ear drums to some poor deaf person who would appreciate them and our contribution to the music world:devil:
  6. troby53

troby53 New Member

LOl..while I'm not sure if louder pipes would have saved me from my accident..I'm sure that breathing better is good for my subsequent riding experience...and if the pipes I'm installing are better for that?..they can be as loud as they want to be
  7. Peyts

Peyts New Member

I have been a huge proponent for sometime regarding louder pipes... but of course my old lady figured I liked them just cause they were "loud and mean". OK, she did have a point... that is certainly one reason why I love 'em.

Last week, the wife told me that she finally understood the importance of loud pipes. She was driving on a four lane boulevard in the city when she went to complete a lane change. She did a mirror and shoulder check, and the lane was all clear. She went to change lanes when she decided to do one more check... right in her blindspot was a crotch rocket. She said that she had no idea the bike was anywhere around her as she never saw it, and more importantly, NEVER HEARD IT first nor last. She told me (with a neat smile) that she felt safer knowing that I had the grumbling Vance & Hines on my bike.

Finally, I did something right! :)

I agree, guys... LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES.

As for crotch rockets... :puke:
  8. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

Well I've had crotch rockets too but, like my Fatboy, they always had Vance & Hynes pipes. They were loud on them too.

My Fatboy has a 2 into 1 Pro Pipe that has a nice deep rumble that is easily heard when desired but kept reasonably quiet as well, with a little effort. There have been numerous times when the pipes were the only reason someone knew I was there so I welcome a little noise pollution. It dissipates quickly anyway.

My buddy has these skinny straight pipes that are downright abnoxious that turn up and out to apparently deafen anyone who dares ride to his right. Those I don't like.
  9. SK

SK New Member

While I find it debatable about loud pipes saving lives, my only gripe are the ones who rev the crap out of their bikes while stopped somewhere (parking lots, etc). It give motorcyclists a bad name. Now..just riding down the road, if some cager hears ya and lets your presence be known it's fine with me.

I'm guilty in the past of being too loud. Years ago I used to ride around a mall parking lot at X-mas time to see how many cage alarms I could get blaring at one time. Not that anybody pays much attention to cage alarms in parking lots. :rolleyes:
  10. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

could not agree more

there does come a point of disorderly conduct. we must not allow our pipes to drown out our common sense:drunk:
  11. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

skull, what is this common sense you speak of??????:roflmao:

havent seen him for years..:rolleyes:
  12. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

he's geten old and don't come out much:drunk:
  13. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Nomad, currently the Blue Ridge Mountains
    Cmmon sense

Well two points here: A) I dont really think there IS any such thing as "common sense" if there was there wouldn't be so many stupid aholes running loose. I mean according to my Funk and Wagnalls common means widespread and popular.
    B) I turn 60 this year. I have had to put up with gangsta's shaking the windows as they roll past with thier boom cars, over zealous lawn fanatics that think it is perfectly normal to crank their freaking lawn tractor and cut grass at 0700 on a Saturday morning, the local high school band (complete with cannon that gets shot off every touchdown) and neighbors whose no talent kids try to make up for lack of musical expertise with more volume....so screw 'em. If I blip my pipes in a parking lot it is still less abrasive than some inbred, fat ased red neck broad screaming at her kids while she waddles to the car in her spandex capris. (If there WAS such a thing as common sense spandex would not be made into pants in XXXXL sizes).
    "Annoying noise" is like perversion...it's what them OTHER folks do....

Ride Free....and LOUD.:devil:
  14. Peyts

Peyts New Member

Grey Bear... it just couldn't have been said any better. Hallelujah! :chopper:
  15. DKIN21

DKIN21 New Member

I'M WITH U MAN:roflmao: :drunk: :rocket_bike:
  16. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

With so many people on phones, eating, putting on makeup, looking a t maps/the paper while driving their cars, we gotta have an edge to keep em on their toes....I dont really care if my pipes interrupt their phone call, If it helps keep their mind on the road that I have to share with these scatterbrains...well I guess thats the price we pay.