1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Louder than normal lifter noise

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by RoadKingBlack2010, Aug 31, 2010.

1. RoadKingBlack2010

RoadKingBlack2010 New Member

I bought my Road King last month. The first week I thought it had a exhaust leak from somewhere in front. A few days later when I was having my 1,000 service I asked the shop if it had a leak. Afterwords they told me they hooked it up to a exhaust pipe to the outdoors. And they told me it had no exhaust leaks. Today I am still hearing that louder than normal ticking sound and I think I have figured it out. Reading reviews online from other Harley riders I found the answer. People like me have noticed this sound from the lifters also and aren't to happy. To me the bike bike runs superb and if it is the lifters making more noise than other Harley's I can live with it. Plus not much I can do now after buying it.:confused:
  2. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

The bike is new so I'm assuming it's under warranty and you've logged your concern. My bike has a noisy valve train and pretty much had it from the get go, it's got 65000 kilometers on it..50 per cent of those miles have been pulling a trailer two up. It runs great..not fast but haven't had a major issue with it. Keep your ear on it to see if it changes. I'm assuming yours has done this from the start.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i would ask the "tech" what the noise is, if it isnt the exhaust.......have the results in writing, in case it goes south on ya later down the road.
  4. RoadKingBlack2010

Thanks guys appreciate the help
  5. RoadKingBlack2010

Thanks next time I go in I will have them put it in writing
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

it's always good to have it in writing , cause if it does go south you have them by the ohoh:eek:
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

might or might not be the lifter,
    I have ticking on my 09 as well.

Rocker arm assembly has a spec,
    if the arm to assembly is outside the spec
    the arm can "walk" and you get a tick, now
    we are talking in the .0x thousands but
    if it's large enough you get tick tick tick.

Have them listen to the rocker boxes

Also remove the windshield and
    ride, bet the noise subsides, part
    of it is the echo off the windshield..
  8. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Is ticking valves common on twincams as it is on EVOs? I thought that was why they added the second cam - to make the angle of the lifters more inline with the rockers?

For what it's worth, I have chased ticking sounds in lifters for 12 years on my EVO and what I found to be the single most effective adjustment to quieting the ticking was to set the adjustable pushrods an extra 30 to 50 thousands of an inch into the lifter. In other words the normal adjustment is to set them 100 thousandths, I set them 0.130" to 0.150". I do this only after I am sure that there was nothing else wrong with the rest of the parts, cam, rockers, etc.

I don't know if this would work for Twinkies, but it might be something to try.
  9. hotroadking

Agree you can possibly eliminate the noise with adjusting pushrods, but I think this is a new 2010 with 1000 miles.

If it's excessive ask the SM to listen, if he says it's normal, then ask him to fire up a new on the floor RK and listen, if it's similar then it's probably ok, these are 45 degree odd ball design engines with weird firing pattern..

But if your's is loud then have him check the lifter, pushrods, alignment of the rocker arm support (improper setup at factory can have pushrods touch sides of head and tap
    or the rocker arms for endplay. (that will blow his mind when you ask all that)

Hey it's warranty.
  10. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Hope when the bike breaks in the tickin goes quieter for you.
    That should be at least over 5000 miles.
    Do you have a extended warranty ?

Be Glad you never road a PanHead Harley. They made more noises than you could ever imagine.
    I'm pretty immune to a lot of noises now.
  11. RoadKingBlack2010

Thanks I got the extended warranty and 5 year maintenance.
  12. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Coool...........

I'd ride her and not worry, HD has you covered.

The 2010 are nice bikes.
    Wish I could have one.........:D
  13. hotroadking

YOu can, just
    ride over and ask
  14. fxdxriderleo

fxdxriderleo Active Member

The extended warranty replaced my engine because it developed a noise down low. Was told it was the cam chain adjusters, When they checked closer and found the adjusters looked almost new they had to dig a bit deeper and found the inner cam bearings took a crap and ovaled the holes in the case.
    They sent the engine back to the factory for a remanufacture. The replaced the right side engine case and rebuilt the rest with new parts.
    The New engine cost me $54 that included sales tax. Still have the original engine munber. The warranty is a good thing.