1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Love the Ride

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Red Rider, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

During my latest cross-country run I usually spent 10 or more hours - often 12-14 - each riding day in the saddle. I'd get mentally and physically exhausted, and when I'd realize it I had one "trick" to re-energize: grab the 'grips and hit the throttle....briefly (didn't need law problems). The joy of riding would fire me back up for another few miles. Us riders know that the ride is the reason for the trip.

Weather can make riding less fun. Over 100 or less than 50 degrees and the ride becomes more of a challenge. I've ridden in temps from 9 degrees to 116, and those were when I actually/accurately knew the official temps. The 116 required a water bottle to spray on me as well as drink - the 9 was just a poor decision...frostbite took a layer of skin that morning, and even that was covered-up. Won't do below 20 anymore, and really anything under freezing is hard on the bike.

Ol' Red (my ride) is in the shop, or I'd riding now, hence the ramble. Keep the rubber down and the shine up!
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I generally don't ride in temps below 40 to 50 because, well, we don't have temps below that very often :cool:
    Red Rider likes this.
  3. Red Rider

Too bad. Lived in Florida for many years, but glad you enjoy it. I still ride 12 months and love every one of them. I'd hate to be confined to climates that require me to sweat every frickin' day, to deal with the daily bugs and thunder, and then there is the snowbird drivers that can't seem to handle the daily rain. Not saying I wouldn't go back, just that I wouldn't stay. Armadillos are cute, mind ya', but I'll take my jackrabbits and antelope, they mind where they are better. Nice to throw down a blanket here and not worry about fire ants or cottonmouths, either. Rattlers at least give ya fair warning, and the tarantulas are really only scary lookin', not feared for their bites. Do miss the Florida Panhandle cooking, though, but as a fair cook and gardener m'self I can get my bugs and spices well enough. And I couldn't live without seeing mountains and canyons. Yep, enjoy Florida....more room on the lonely roads here for me & Red!:cool:
  4. hotroadking

It cools down between mid September to mid April. I think I turned on my grip heaters one night coming back from Daytona

If you want cold ride at midnight in late October brrr dang humid cold air goes right through you

Summer's are hot. So we ride at night and armadillo soup is good just trap in and flip them on the back on a grill lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Red Rider likes this.
  5. Red Rider

I generally don't ride at night simply because there is less to see, so less to enjoy. As for armadillos, the tough little balls they become can really throw a bike off course. Never had any to eat, though...maybe next time I get down there.
  6. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Yep. For being in Florida for the little amount of time that I was, it was enough for me to decide that I have no desire to move down there or to go riding there. JOHNNYBIKER doesn't like hot weather. :cool:
  7. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

6 months riding season sux too though.
  8. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Never occurred to me to try armadillo. But we have lots of venison and moonshine around here to indulge in LOL. We have so far had temps in the 90s with high humidity, not a good combination by anyone's standards, but we can ride. I'm still fooling with my transmission and it seems nothing I do (short of a complete rebuild) will fix it.

Was saving the money to do it, but decided it would be better spent going towards cataract surgery. Got one done a few days back and the other eye will be done in a few weeks. Man, what a difference! As for the tranny, I'm looking for a shop to do it. Maybe someone here on the forum could recommend a shop for me . . . then again, Tattoo says just get a new one (4-speed ratchet top).
  9. hotroadking

JB, the armadillo thing was a joke, then again I"m sure some redneck back woods gun tot'n hillbilly cracker azz has tried it....

Good for you on the eyes, riding will be better and maybe it will help
    you see whats up with the transmission.

You might be able to keep it together for the rest of the season, or if you're
    going to be out of riding for a bit due to surgery then put your 4 speed up for sale, get the bucks and use it to go toward a new trans for the bike, if you can't ride (winter or surgery) it's the time to think about it.
  10. joshbob

You're right. I know some guys who like to suck the juice out of pig eyes, say, at a "pig pickin' ". Yuk!
  11. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

JB, good to hear from you. Hope the surgery is going well. Still hoping to see you this end of the state. Just for thoughts, kept my softail when I got the RG Ultra. If you were ever to drive over here, got a bike you could ride...01 Softail. Don't let many touch it, but like to show you a bit of Western NC.
    Red Rider likes this.
  12. joshbob

Thanks, MC. Not sure I'd remember how to ride a regular bike LOL. Took an 80+ mile ride yesterday (round trip) to see my eye doc in Greenville. My eye drops are a PITA, but I'm told it happens with some patients. The Durazol stings and the Ilevro makes it feel like there's gravel in my eye for a while LOL. Two more weeks of that . . . but I see so much better - they put a prescription lense in to replace the natural one. When I get the other eye done in September I won't need glasses anymore except for reading.;)
    The ride yesterday was fun as it was still morning and not too hot. I now wear a 3/4 helmet with a face shield and Wiley-X tactical googles. Keeps all wind and debris out.
  13. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

JB, I had it done about 5 months ago. You won't believe how bright things get. You'll especially like to see what you've been missing at night.
  14. hotroadking

Good for you on the vision, as to the helmet they do help with keeping
    bugs out of your forehead, I even got a full face modular one from HJC for longer trips and bad weather issues, while it helps with wind, noise and bugs the guys i ride with says it improves my looks immensely.
  15. joshbob

Very true, Charlie.

Don't think I'll ever have a full-face modular, HRK, as long trips are out of my range. I am certain one would improve my looks as well LOL. The thing I like about the 3/4 helmet is that it cuts down on wind noise while allowing me to hear the motor more clearly. It's easier to hear the motor with 30" drag pipes, too, and you should see the deer scatter when they hear me coming!

Red Rider, I hope your scooter is out of the shop by now. I have ridden through Nevada several times in my youth and remember it as a state with lots of scenic places to see.
  16. Red Rider

Yep, between my local Indie shop and myself, got it in the best shape it has been in ever, I think. But what did I do today? Actually just got back from scouting on my dual-sport 650. Getting closer to hunting season!
    joshbob likes this.
  17. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Jumping in on this conversation late (what else is new). Speaking of Florida... Next year I'm giving up the California life to give it a try in Florida. Moving the business to an area near Tampa by year end, and my wife and I are already buying a house out there.

On the topic of riding, I'm looking forward to a whole different type of riding. There hasn't been any joy for me riding in Southern California for a long while now, with traffic and congestion 10x worse than it has ever been. It takes me about 45 minutes just to ride to a point where I don't have to split lanes or dodge construction, and by that time it has sucked all the fun out of the ride. Beaches, mountains? Not worth the effort anymore if it means riding a gauntlet of too many cars going nowhere and constantly bangin mirrors trying to slice through traffic jams.

I have lived in SoCal all my life but sadly I'm done with this place. Too expensive, too crowded, and more regulations as a business owner than anyone should consider acceptable. I'm ready for something new. My brother lives out there so I've had a sampling of what to expect.

I'll gladly trade the 7 day a week gridlock for the snowbird drivers. I'll trade the 105+ "dry heat" summer for 90's and thunderstorms. Humidity? I'll deal with that. Mosquitoes, hopefully my wife will get use to those lol. Fewer taxes, that's a no-brainer. Getting a home that gives us 3 times the amount for our money, count me in! I will miss the good Mexican food we have here, so far haven't found much in Florida, but its not the end of the world :rolleyes:

No place is perfect, but when we started thinking about the move, the pros outweighed the cons by a long shot. Looking forward to some new rides and a new pace.
    MountainCruiser likes this.
  18. joshbob

I'm sure you'll make the transition with relative ease, Ken. The humidity is probably the worst thing you'll have to deal with, weatherwise, with the occasional hurricane LOL. But at least you'll have plenty of time to prepare for them, unlike earthquakes. We moved to N.C. 17 years ago from Santa Barbara/Monterey, California and never looked back.
  19. hotroadking

Welcome to Florida, home of no taxes and lotsa Guns....
    hence the Gunshine State...

Hurricanes are not bad, you know they are coming and have
    plenty of time to stock up of food, booze, and batteries LOL
    Tampa isn't a big hurricane target.

Traffic in Tampa can be a PIA, but once you learn where
    not to be at what time it's not bad, lots of fast access to
    get out of the area.

Plus you'll have plenty of bike events, Leesburg, Bike Week
    Biketoberfest, there are more, and riding is year around.

Humidity you get used to it, skeeters are not that bad
    just ride faster than they can fly....

We eat Cuban food here, Mexican is for you folks on the border LOL
  20. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

We got a few good Mexican,(Tex-Mex & Caleefonya-Mex) place s down by me in orring