1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Low Oil Pressure

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by smiley7661, May 12, 2009.

1. smiley7661

smiley7661 New Member

I just got done doing the upgrade to the new SE billet cam plate and Hydraulic lifters on my 99 Electraglide. Now I am having a problem with low oil pressure while riding, and the oil lamp comes on after about 10 seconds of idling. I just did the oil change at the same time of all upgrades. the manual says 4 qts and that is what I added. I have an oil cooler does this change my capacity?
  2. duke76

duke76 New Member

Did you replace all of the orings for the pump, especially the suctionon the back side of the pump? was the oil pump assembled not correctly? that usually causes no oil pressure at all. Todd
  3. smiley7661

smiley7661 New Member

Update

Ok I rode it this morning, and we broke down. when I started it up this morning the oil pressure was around 32 psi. So I took off on a test run. I was on the freeway doing about 65, 9 miles away from my starting point and the pressure started to drop. I took the next exit as I watched it go almost to zero, and then the light came on and I could hear the valve train making noise so I shut her down.

As far as the O-rings, I did replace all of them during my recent upgrade to the SE Hydraulic lifters. and I have double checked the drawings of the proper installation of the pump and I did put it together the way the diagram said.

One thought that I have, I have an oil cooler and so it makes the oil filter a little hard to get on. If this seated incorrectly could it give me pressure when cold and then loose it all as it got warm? I dont see any oil drips in that area though, but just trying to keep myself from :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Any thoughts or direction to look for a problem would be greatly appreciated.
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

the cooler should not be a factor, a few ounces extra of oil. if the oil filter is not leaking, that should not be a problem....unless...you have the incorrect filter.
    there is a plate in the oilpump. it can be put on in two ways. make sure it is installed correctly, if not, oil pressure will be low or non existent. i am not sure what the plate is called. it is a spacer. hope this helps.....
  5. smiley7661

smiley7661 New Member

when you say in wrong, there was a scavenge gyrator, then a plate, then spring, then plate and then pressure gyrator. Those all bolted to the back of the Cam Plate. When you say in wrong is that 180 degrees off (small tab/big tab) or is that flip flopped?
  6. 5558

5558 New Member

Did you align the pump after your install or did you just install it.
  7. smiley7661

smiley7661 New Member

I figured out the problem, it was an idiot error. I did not read some of the instructions correctly about the difference between 99-a & 99-b crankcases. I stated to put the o-ring in if you had one design.... Well I messed up and did not read that if I did not use the o-ring I had to put the self tapping screw in the hole. So basically it was just pumping oil into the cam area, and not building pressure to goto the top end.
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Well at least you know the error

These motors are pretty tolerant of things, built sturdy.

Me, I'd say fix it (oil pump) align it properly and go for a ride,
    obviously the crank and cams were well oiled

As to the pistons to cyc oil, and that should be fine from the flywheels slinging up oil.

So the only issue really will be the valve guides and springs.
  9. smiley7661

smiley7661 New Member

Well I test rode it all the way into work today (35 miles) and she sounds pretty darn nice and it was good to get the wind back in my hair... ok maybe just on my helmet....LOL

Thanks for all your help on this one guys I was about to pull all my hair out.
  10. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

glad ya got it.......