1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Lower Fairings

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Jan 27, 2008.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Been thinkin about Lower fairings for my bike for a while. Know they don't look good. My buddy has em on his Ultra, he was gonna take them off for the summer but with the cold he said he couldn't take em off.
    I been debating on ordering a hard set for my Standard for their comfort they add to the bike. And all you have to do is open the vent when its over 50 for air to the motor. They stick up higher and give more protection than soft fairings..
    Well I was at Cowboy yesterday gettin a manual for my 08 bike, got the old lady to buy me some soft lower farings yesterday to try out.
    When we left the Hawgstop Bar at 5:00pm yesterday, I deceided it was gonna be cooler and I stuck them on for the ride home. The closer we got to Livingston the colder it got. I now appreciate the added comfort of lower fairings. My wife even commented at all the cold air that was gone off our legs and feet.
    looks ain't everthing when its cold outside. :rant:
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i keep a set in my bags,,,take up no room. they work really well in the rain also......:)
  3. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

Do they work if you have highway pegs? I have seen them...not up close.... only on line....
  4. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

If you are talking about what I think you are, I believe they do... Know a couple of Bro's that have them for the colder months and they work with their highway pegs on...:)
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I have the soft one's , lay flat easy on & off & work real good in cold or wet weather, & A hell of alot cheeper
  6. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

I have highway pegs on my role bars. Wondering if the soft covers...not sure, but if I saw correctly, they slide over the role bars.....I just don't know if there is a slot to "thread" the highway pegs through.....
  7. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

My brother uses them on the engine guard on his EG. The ones he has have a cut out in them to slip over the highway pegs.
  8. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

I use the elephant ear type, got 'em from J&P, and really like them. Mine attach on the engine guards and then hook together with a strap. I've used them all summer and even on a 1000 mile run that was mostly above 100 degrees, and had no problems. They will reduce your miles per gallon, but they catch a lot of bugs and rocks that would otherwise be bouncing on your legs. And they are lifesavers in the cold - rode in the teens a few times already this winter. I think mine are "Desert Dogs" or something like that.
    :cheers:
  9. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

yes they work with footpegs on the guards.....now if ya have the kind with the heel support, you will have to work the slit over that. takes just a minute longer, but they fit!