1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Lowering an XLH

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by AZroaddust, Dec 2, 2006.

1. AZroaddust

AZroaddust New Member

I have seen these and other "bracket" looking "kits" for lowering a Sportster by 1". This particular one is S.S., but others appear to be welded steel painted black. Anyone familiar with them? Are they as easy to install as claimed?

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i have never installe them, but have seen a few....the appear to be a pretty straight forward project....hopefully someone that has done this will respond..
    chuck
  3. 2fastnaz

2fastnaz Moderator

I don't know either but would sure like to. I want to lower my 81. Keep us updated please.
  4. saintpm

saintpm New Member

Bike for the missie

I am also very interested in your project. I have a 2000 custom sporty. My wifes legs are just a little short. Tried a different seat and turnign down the shock tension. But now my wife get lower back aches. Any kind of help here would be much appreciated.
    Keep the rubber side turning!!!:)
  5. AZroaddust

AZroaddust New Member

Go to E bay. Type in search: Sportster lowering kit

You will see different versions and for various years. Leave "sportster" off of your search and they have them for other models too.

Prices on E bay (SOME!) look better than what I have found from dealers. Some can drop just one inch, others 2 inches.

My only concern is whether I have to drill the frame or not. I don't want to have to do that. It looks like the "bracket" goes where the bottom of the rear shock is bolted, then the shock "drops" down 1 inch into another hole. Looks easy enough.

Just don't bid against me, please! (ha ha ha):D
  6. chucktx

i dont think that any of the kits involve drilling of the frame. that would weaken the integrity of the frame....especially if a person with little or no knowledge attempts it.....all the lowering kits i have seen are bolton's.....hope this helps a bit
    chuck
  7. bikerjim1

bikerjim1 Moderator

Another consideration is adjustable shorty shocks if you want a little versatility to adjusting the height of your ride. Progressive Suspension puts out a few models for Sporties as short as 11".
    Just my .02 worth!
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Got an Ultra in the garage doing a big bore and it's got that kit works fine white brothers started that lowering kit, it basically changes the angle of the shock and lowers the rear.

This will of course leave the front end up high and rake it out a bit.

Shorter shocks while more expensive give you a better ride and some adjustability like Progressives shocks.

Have a buddy's RK he did the lowering kit and changed to the shocks the angle change on the kit made it ride hard but the Ultra doesn't I think it was more related to the 98 vs the 01' s better shocks. FOund him a set of take off progressive that were an inch lower and he loves them.

Its not that expensive a try and you can do it in your garage with a couple of tools a jack and some help.
  9. AZroaddust

AZroaddust New Member

Man I feel Stupid! I asked a guy with a kit for sale if he woiud mind letting me look at the instructions. The kind guy scanned and e-mailed them to me.

I went out to the garage and got real close and personal with the rear end of my Sporty, and YES, the frame had a kit already installed that moved the shocks back and lowered the rear end about 1"! My only excuse is that I bought this from a widow who knew nothing about it, and I had no other bike similar to it to compare.

ANYWAY, for you guys that wanted to know about doing it, it is a pretty simple job. Let me know if you want the instructions. Basically, just do one side at a time and no jack is required even.

I knew I hadn't grown taller lately, and my knees bend a bit standing the bike straight up. That's why my several earlier questions about Huggers, etc.:)
  10. chucktx

im glad ya got it ironed out!!!:)
  11. ridehard95

ridehard95 New Member

Easy

They are easy to install .they only take a few min. You got to take the nuts off you belt adjuster and take off the bottom shock bolt .Do one side at a time verey easy to do