1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Lowering kits

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by bcnasty, Sep 23, 2007.

1. bcnasty

bcnasty New Member

Hey folks, had a burly one inch lowering kit I adopted to my 07 bagger on the rear and progressive one inch lower front. Anyways, this am I installed the new IDS system on her and there is a clearence issue between the new IDS pulley and the lowering kit so the lowering kit has to go. My question is , will there be a handling problem with a one inch lowered front and stock height rear .? Has anyone done this and put some miles on the bike at higher touring speeds. It seems like it should be fine as the bike originally sat higher in the front than rear when it was stock , however many years ago powered a glide out of a tank slap and never, NEVER, want to do that again. Ya'lls advice here is greatly apreciated.
    Peace,
    BC

Yes I know they sell lower shocks but I am a little on the lite side on cash this month and if new lower shocks are needed they will be progressives not H.D.'s Just looking for a few weeks with this set up if it will be safe.:witsend:
  2. VYBR8ER

VYBR8ER New Member

A one inch drop in the front shouldn't give you much of a change in the trail, it will shorten it up ever so slightly. I'd watch how it handles in fast sweepers which is where you should feel it first. Don't think there is any trouble to worry about. I would put on the progressive short shocks because they seem to have better rebound characteristics than the HD units.
  3. bcnasty

bcnasty New Member

Thanks, ordered the progressives and they should be here today. I was a little concerned and as I said had a phobia about tank slap:) as I have been through it before. Spoke to the bride and she said if I was that worried about it then it must be an issue so go ahead and get the shocks. I ordered the 418s in one inch shorter ( 12 ) and it should ride pretty darn good. Thanks for the reply.
    BC:)