1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Lowering my Electraglide

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by fittykick, May 7, 2007.

1. fittykick

fittykick New Member

I am going to buy a part that relocates the rear shock mounting hole down about a 1 1/2 inches. My question is, do I have to lower the front end? If I need to, what do I have to do? Buy new shocks or replace the insides of the old ones? Thanks.
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

You can leave it stock if you aren't lowering the rear too much, otherwise you'll need to level the frontend. There are a few kits out that will lower your front end including those from White Bros.
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Ken what is a white bro's front end? I know my Brother has a 98 ultra glide & it has air shock's both front & rear , he lowed the rear with just air shock's & it never change the handling , He said they where only about $20 more then the HD factory shock's & he was on the road when he blew out a shock . so he had to get them
    :cool:
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

WHite Brothers makes shorter springs you replace the stock units, this will lower the front of the bike.

The kit you are referring to kicks the rear shocks out at a new angle.

FWIW lowering the bike will help you if you are inseam challenged, however it will also reduce your cornering clearance, you may find you hook the jiffy stand on the left quickly, so be careful, also curb hopping will be a no no as well as backing up to curbs to park.

Ride will not be as good. I would suggest you get a set of Progressive suspension shocks that are shorter than stock, they have multiple lengths, this will maintain the proper geometry on the shock to swingarm.

however having said that, the kit you're getting works.

One thing if you don't lower the front you increase the rake which may make the bike a bit better on the highways,
  5. 1loneultra

1loneultra New Member

EG Lowering

I might be wrong, but doesn't the Street Glide come lowered in the rear only from the factory?

1loneultra
  6. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Here is my .02.

I tried the white bros kit, but it doesn't work with Classic bags. My friend has them and likes them a lot with the use of stock length shocks. He weighs about 220 and his wife ... eh about the same.

I tried Progressive coil over springs. The ride was too low and too harsh. I think I hurt my girlfriends back with those. I weigh 190 and she weighs 110 when she is bloated.

If you want to try the progressive shocks I still have them. They are about 7 years old though.

I finally went with the HD shorter shocks and I really like the ride.

I did not do anything to my frontend except I run with zero air pressure up front. Just to let you know, I run about 7 - 10 psi in the back. It's been that way for about 7 years now.