1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Lowering the Dyna(info)

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by voodoo1, Jun 18, 2008.

1. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

Ok. I am thinking about lowering the )02Dyna's(WIDE GLIDE) rear suspension.
    Why? for cosmetic appearances...change. Now I don't wanna bottom out and still wanna be able to two up without issues. Never lowered any of my dynas. My questions are .......
    1. The handling much difference does not get worse I hope (LOL)
    2. I know the rake and trail won't change but WILL that rear fender looks like it might need a little taken out if ya go too low?
    3. Anything to look out for with the balance and clearances anywhere else?
    The only ones I have seen had been cropped,slammed The lowered ones were almost always ready to drag the fella's pipes. Mine are different config but know I'll end up catching if I go go low.
    4. HD has the shock and spring set -up for 300.00. anyone else got a better setup/price?
    Later,
    :cool:
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

I put a set of Progressive 11"or11.5",(CRS) 2" lower than stock, on the rear of the Sporty quite a few years back and had no adverse effects on anything at all. Handling fine ,riding 2-up fine, no bottoming out. I wouldn't use the lowering blocks tho, I don't like the idea of changing the shock angle.
  3. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Progressive (no affiliation) makes shocks in several different lengths & a lowering kit for the forks too, that will allow you to lower 1" or 2". The shocks are also available with standard or heavy-duty springs. They recommend you call 1st to get what you want, rather than just buy some shocks & find out they're too short or too stiff for what you want to accomplish & you definitely don't want to use the lowering blocks for the stock shocks.

My '95 Sportster's got 12" Progressive shocks in the back & the 2" lowering kit in the front so it sits dead level, which is what I want. No problem bottoming out, but I never carry a passenger. You can lower the back only, which will change the rake/trail a little bit, but not enough that it'd mess up the handling. However, if you put real good shocks on the back, how bad the front end is will become glaringly apparent & if you don't want to lower it you can get stock length springs from Progressive or RaceTech that are a LOT better - expecially get rid of the nosedive under braking.

Shocks are available in 11.5" & even 11" but I wouldn't go that low if I carried a passenger. And with the 2" lower than stock setup on my '95, although it rides & handles well, I certainly can't lean over as far as with the '00 model which isn't lowered. Obviously there is not a "one size fits all" setup, but there are certainly enough choices on the market to accomplish what you want & not screw up the ride/handling. I'd talk to the manufacturers saying this is what I want to accomplish & this is how/when/where I ride.
  4. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

oh yeah

Progressive is good stuff. Fogrgot about them. Thanks for the info. The more I think about it, the more I will probably keep it even as well. The diving part is a turn off. I have seen that on others. Thanks for the input I appreciate it.:cool:
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

just fyi

When you lower the rear you will change handling of the bike.

You won't be able to lean as far left, it will catch the jiffy stand tab quicker.
    You will bottom out easier,
    Ride will be rougher/firmer

It's the things you give up for style!
  6. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

my xlc came with stock shocks at 11.5, had no problems with 2 up, or draging anything, I put 10.0 strutts on mine, that gave me enough clearence on the fender. If you are only going to go to the 11. or 11.5 you could always just put on the lowering brackets, there cheap or easy to make. then use your stock shocks. personally I wouldn't touch the front, really not ness. unless you just want it slammed. I don't like shocks at all, mainly because after ride'n hardtail so long it makes the bike feel slugish and sway in turns. watch your chain or belt gaurd when lowering. other thing is if you have a chain you might have to take some links out.