1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

M-6 primary chain tensioner

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by freeride, May 19, 2010.

1. freeride

freeride Member

I am debating the purchase of an m-6 automatic primary chain tensioner. In theory it sounds like a good idea, but I am unsure. It wouldn't be the first gimmic that I bought (DOH!). If anyone could share some insight on this product, I would be most grateful.
  2. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Don't waste your $$$. Haven't seen a good report on one of those yet & I've seen people talk about 'em for years.
  3. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

The Hayden M-6 chain tensioner is one of the top best products I ever bought for my RoadKing. I bought it back in 1999, put about 75,000 miles on it and just last year I replaced the shoe only because I had the primary apart at the time. Since I put this chain tensioner on my 1998 RK, I have not thought about adjusting the chain EVER!

They are very nice on the phone too, give them a call.

Hayden Enterprises -->1-800-664-6872<--
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I have the HB-125 auto tensioner in my 00 and it's got about 60K on it and has stood up to the abuse of a 124... Keeps the chain properly tensioned

Adjustable tensioners are the way to go, HD now puts them in every new bike.

Yes the old style works, but it does require adjustment as the shoe wears and the chain stretches, the auto tensioners take care of this for you...
  5. ReeseSS

ReeseSS New Member

I also have the HB-125 for the same reasons HRK does, but the M-6 has been around a long time with satisfied users. If I was putting one in now, I would also consider the self adjusting newer ones!
  6. hotroadking

here is a link to the company that makes the HB-125, they have a neat
    video on the adjustable tensioner, shows the flex with a static adjuster in the
    chains operation and the smoother operation of the adjustable.

JMO it's one of the reasons HD converted to an adjustable.
    HB-125
  7. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

There must be a substantial difference in the product for big twins vs. the one for Sportsters / Buells, as everyone I've seen who used the auto. chain tensioner in a Sportster or Buell ended up taking it out due to problems with it. And on an XL, the primary is so easy to adjust that I never considered buying an auto. chain tensioner. I noted that "freeride" has a 2000 model Sportster & so do I.
    Last edited: May 19, 2010
  8. freeride

freeride Member

Talk about a coincidence; my previous bike was an Aqua Pearl 1995 Sportser 883. Art, do you know what the life expectantcy is for the stock adjuster shoe? My bike has just shy of 20,000 miles on it, and has been well cared for. I contemplated the m-6, but you are right in saying that the chain is simple to adjust. The makers of the m-6 claim it makes the bike shift smoother, but with stock components and a properly adjusted primary chain, I am thinking the shifting should be a non-issue.
  9. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Put it this way - the '95 has over 80,000 miles on the clock & I haven't replaced the adjustment shoe yet. And I think this is part of the reason why - several years ago I switched from H-D "SportTrans" (conventional 75W90) primary fluid to Red Line 75W90 synthetic (which has the proper additive for a wet clutch) & I'm glad I did. I immediately noticed that shifting was easier, more "click" than "clunk" & over time, I found that I didn't need to adjust the chain as often. And I didn't need to do it very often to begin with - I couldn't even tell you the mileage interval, I can just feel it when the chain gets a little loose.
  10. freeride

freeride Member

Thanks, Art. So with my bike's 20,000 easy miles, I should be good to go. I assume the chain still has a lot of life left, as well. Time to adjust the chain though, as it makes an audible "clunk" when I put it in gear. Hope I didn't damage the chain by having out of adjustment. I'll be looking to pick up some Redline 75W90 synthetic primary fluid. Thanks for the tip, and also for saving me from purchasing another "gimmick".
    Last edited: May 19, 2010
  11. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

So what is causing the clanging noise on the 09 and newer when you back off and then give it some throttle? Nobody at the HD shop can explain it.
  12. hotroadking

Haven't heard it on mine.
  13. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

I try to give as detailed an answer as I can so others can make up their own minds about it.. I did not know what bike freeride had. And on the other hand it would make sense that you really shouldn't need to adjust them too much considering that those chains prolly don't stretch that much after the first few hundred miles. Maybe that's why mine has been so trouble free.

Freeride, When it comes to sporty's Art_NJr is the man!

I still think mine shifts a little better with the spring tensioner on the chain.
  14. Wideglide85

Wideglide85 Active Member

I've got about 30K on my M-6 now. I had to mess with it a couple times since the initial installation - had to re-shim the springs - but the bike shifts better & the primary is quieter with the M-6. (I use H-D Formula + in the trans & ATF in the primary, but thinking about trying the Red Line synthetic stuff in the trans..)