1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

made an exhaust change

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by baggerpaul, May 27, 2014.

1. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

well over the years i have tried many exhaust set ups on many bikes including my own . i have always been a 2into1 kind of guy . had the ability over the years to tune and play on the dyno at red racing in boca . that by the way has shut down and the building has been sold . I will miss tom very much a great walking book of knowledge when it came to flat head pan knuckle shovel . just awesome learned alot hated twin cams . awesome person allowed me to play and tune bikes for him on the dyno . any how back to my review did some reasearch because my thunder header baffles fell apart . very well could be that i did abuse the shit out of that pipe on the dyno and at docs for a learning and tunning session we did 2 years back . many miles on that pipe and many wide open runs . then again when you start bending tabs for torque the baffles retain more heat vibes go up and sheet metal baffles get weak . so back to my story looked at alot of pipes looked at many dyno runs from many various dyno guys from around the country asked diffrent guys on htt that have run the pipe and i selected for my 2001 flht s&s duals witch is simalar in to a late model pipe but with no cat and is a 2-1-2 style pipe 1.3/4 pipe primary and for mufflers i used mike rolands crusher mufflers . i have to tell you the bike runs awesome smooth quiet at idle nice bark off idle . tuned in super easy hooked up the wide band verified air fuel ratio reset the idle air fuel done . power is instant low rpm cruise is effortless . it did not have good low speed manners with the large cam high compression big valve head combo with the thunder header low rpm it had to much exhaust flow and would make torque at a higher rpm .so the sweet spot was 2.500 and up with this set up its from 1.250 and up power is great two up also . all i can say is you learn something new everyday never thought i would get this kind of power from a set of duals and i was ready to sacrifice some power from this set up in the mid range i got schooled .
  2. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

That's interesting because most of the stuff I've read is that 2 into 1 pipes yield the best all around performance . . . and drag pipes, like mine, are among the worst LOL.
  3. baggerpaul

Folks would like to say its because of more back pressure that the bike runs better .not true its the difference in exhaust velocity and sonic wave that has been changed .I have to big of an exhaust valve in these heads for the amount of duration im running for a cam . The heads that kirby did I broke.it ran great with the thunderheader. The exhaust valve was much smaller.im running an 1.625 exhaust valve this motor pulls this bagger on the high end of 120 mph 1 up and it would keep going but the bowl runs empty.it will hit red line real quick from a 123 shift.and it does it much easier now.and still pulls like before on the highway with this exhaust system. Very pleased with the outcome.
  4. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Well if you want to see how fast it can really go, you can always buy the extended float bowl from Woods and have a go? :) Oh such ways to spend money.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
  5. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

That's for sure. And I didn't know there was such a thing as an extended float bowl. Holds more fuel I'm certain.
    Speaking of back pressure, when I put 3 1/2" baffles in each of my 38" long drags 3 years ago, there was a noticible boost in low end torque, although the pipes didn't 'bark' as deep as before. Ah well, ya can't have everything!
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Josh, you'd be better off with the baffles and power than the noise, long term its better on your ears, your neighbors and the bike will have the extra power to get you out of trouble...

An exhaust change can make a big difference, it's amazing how different the fuel and timing curves will be with a change from a 2-1 to true duals.
  7. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I went with V&H header and 4 inch rounds and just love them. Great power, great sound and no Cat.
  8. baggerpaul

Yep the bike was much easier to tune we had it realy well tuned as far jetting and needle .thanks again hrk.for the parts .and we built a few diffrent timing maps when doc had it on the dyno.i think he spent more time on the dyno with timing then jetting.i was only rich one jet size on the pilot spent 4 hours on timing.im able to run less timing in the low rpm area and still make great power now with the h pipe it is very well mannered. For the amount of cam that I have.im well over 600 lift with the rockers im running anxd 245 250 on the duration side intake and exhaust.its nice not to have to crank the tunes up on the highway. To hear my music anymore on long rides .
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Glad you could use them

Btw I had the extended bowl on my rebel 505 cv
    Worked great
  10. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like your dialed in just right & new pipes work like they should , listen away on your music & running hard ;>)
  11. baggerpaul

Hey cowboy chips on the way only a year late! Hehe
  12. cowboy

LOL no problem at all , I have a second board going now & they will help , again Thanks
    You
  13. cowboy

BP got it today , chesters HD ,Thank you , How the new pipes & tune doing on your ride ?
  14. baggerpaul

Glad to here that brother .bike is running real good !you can really appreciate it when your 2 up .
  15. cowboy

That's always good when you can pull hard 2 up , guess the tune & pipes made a big difference
  16. baggerpaul

Ya most of it was the low speed manners of the two up riding.with the big cam .its very choppy. And with such a big flow on the exhaust it was a chore to ride two up in traffic .low rpm i was working to keep the motor happy .any thing above 2500 rpm she was good to go .the cam choice was good for the compression and heads im running .just was not a good choice for the exhaust.to muche flow at low rpm.
  17. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

BP you ever run a Supertrapp, Bassani, or a D&D 2 in 1 pipe ?
  18. baggerpaul

I personally on my bike only have ran in the past on 3 diffrent bikes .2 bub7. 2 into1 .a patriot performance 2 into 1 witch is a dragos pipe . A rinehart 2 into 1 . A thunderheader. Witch was tje only pipe thatade good power but just over exhausted at low rpm . Bassani road rage is a good pipe and the super trap makes good low end torque also. I like tje look of this pipe and is nice to make power and be quiet guess im getting old .lmfao
  19. baggerpaul

Sorry for the fat finger spelling this screen is to small for my big ass fingers
  20. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Itz mo prpnlim I csn reas ir fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2