1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Made in the USA?

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by 08XModel, Sep 22, 2009.

1. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

I was eating out the other night and the subject turned to bikes and where parts are made. I had two people that were really rude about me owing a harley and about how they always break down. Then the guy went on to tell me that I would be surprised how many parts on my harley are not made in the USA. It isn't a big deal but that SOB got to me and now I'm curious as to how many parts are not USA made. He rides a goldwing but honda doesn't have the history that harley has.
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Wanna bet those Honda's didn't break down. I remember changing a water pump on my frickin Goldwing laying in the dirt at the camp ground one year. I remember another time where we had to stay in Billings at the Honda dealer to have the carbs on the stupid Goldwing fixed and spent a whole day and night there. I know lots of people that broke down with them. Another friend broke down in Canada and had to put his in a U-haul truck and bring it home. My wifes Valk has broke down on us twice on a trip and had to be towed.
    Now I own a Harley and so does the wife!
    The Goldwing is completely built now in Japanese Land and before all the assembled parts came from Japanese Land owned companies.
    I'll ride my Harley with pride even if there are components made someplace else, its still an American owned company and most parts are good old USA made. :)
    Those idiots are stupid and probably jealous because they probably can't afford to buy one or their wifey or mommy won't let them. :roflmao:
  3. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

those goldwimgs cost more than a harley, and they have to have a tac to tell there running...:roflmao:
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  4. Panthera

Panthera New Member

Foreign buyers, cars and bikes, have to have some excuse to buy something else, so they pretend the quality is better, or whatever. I have had coworkers and others tell me their foreign vehicles are all great, even when they spend more time in the shop than any of mine ever do. All vehicles have breakdowns, simple fact of life.

If as American consumers we do not support our fellow workers, who will support us?
  5. steveb

steveb Active Member

We make parts for Harley's and Honda's. I can tell you that Honda moved all of the manufacturing and assembly for the Goldwing back to Japan.
  6. TM103

TM103 Active Member

I worked in a machine shop that made parts for HD in Mesa,Az. Thier sister plant in MI makes parts for HD as well. Thats USA made.:D
  7. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Not sure of all what is made in another country , but alot of the extra do dads are marked on the package made in japan or what other country
  8. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Carbs and forks are forged from rice, maybe a few little other things. The chrome doodads are made by some 7 yr old oriental kid, but at least you're not riding a plastic motorcycle:roflmao: No such thing as a honda mechanic??;)
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Just tell him, yes it's a world economy, and there are a few foreign parts on your USA Harley, however, a few important facts abound

1) There are more USA parts on the HD and
    2) There are NO USA parts on his Honda
    3) your USA dollars went to a USA company, paying USA Taxes on USA jobs employing Americans in the USA
    4) His helped fund Japanese families and japans economy....
  10. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Tell the dumbbutt to take a ride to DealsGap, NC and look at the "tree of shame" on the east end of the DRAGON.
    I spent a hour looking for HD parts hanging on it and all I could find was rice plastic.
  11. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I get so sick and tired of hearing Americans telling me how much better their Japanese crap is and if Americans could build a better product they would buy it. Then they complain they don't get paid enough or can't find a job.
    I told one of em to put their fingers up to their eyes and pull em back, yep I told them now you look like one to.