1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Maintenance

Discussion in 'The Polling place' started by GreyBear, Dec 26, 2006.

1. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Nomad, currently the Blue Ridge Mountains
    Just wondering: How many do thier own maitenance? How many have the stealership perform it? How many folks use an independant shop?
  2. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Right now she's still under warranty, so I have the stealership do it. Of course I don't PAY for it, it was included in the cost of the bike. However, I am doing the 240 rear tire kit myself, except for the trans work (warranty reasons again), but after that I will do all of my own maintenance. After seeing the way the bike was put together, I will definately do my own work!
  3. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

I do all of my own p.m. and anything non-warranty I can't afford it any other way
  4. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

I've always done my own maintenance and most wrenching. I spent some time as a former ASE brake mechanic so I've always been weary of letting others work on my cars, trucks, or motorcycles. The exception would be when I get stuck somewhere... like when I snapped my drive belt 100 miles from home. Also being an independent oil dealer means often having a spare case of oil around, so oil changes are second nature to me.

Even under warranty you can do your own periodic maintenance (lube, fluid changes) without any worries. Aside from the personal satisfaction of doing things for yourself, I think its a great way to get to know your motorcycle and spot any potential problems before they get too big.
  5. 2fastnaz

2fastnaz Moderator

Anything Shovel or older I can work on. Some of the new blockhead stuff worries me (special tools ect.) so I just don't own one.
  6. bikerjim1

bikerjim1 Moderator

My scoot is a 94, so not much a warranty can touch anymore, however, with a lot I've learned here, I do 99.5% of my own work!
  7. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

Doing the snail's pace thing....now can change my own oil/filer/primary fluid!!! have service manual, SOME tools, but maybe not the right ones!! Would LOVE to have someone close that would sit down in the garage to shoot the breeze while I learn to do my work! Getting closer to working on my own tho! Think baby steps!!! :roflmao:
  8. bikerjim1

bikerjim1 Moderator

AFNurse,

The next time I'm in that direction, I'll toss ya a line. I'm only about 80 miles from ya. Hmmmm.....sounds like a good distance for a moderate scoot-around!
    I'll give ya a holler when I'm headed that way for anything! Couple times a year I find myself there for conventions or training for work.
  9. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

I have always worked on all my vehicles but the Harley is still under warranty and I really don't have the time to do all I would like to. The warranty is up in April and I plan to retire about the same time so things should change. All the accessories I have changed out (grips, switch housing, brake and clutch levers, etc.) I have done myself. I intend to put on new pipes and SERT sometime next month and the dealer will be doing that. I already have a lift and manual so when I pull the plug at work, I plan to dig in and learn something about it. With directions and the right tools, I think I can do most that I need to do.
  10. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i have wrenched on mine for 40+years....my 06 is under warranty, but as stated, i still do all but the warranty stuff....(knockin on wood here as i havent had to use it)... have 18,500 on it and just over a year old.
    chuck
  11. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

Mine's a '96 FLSTC, so I am doing as much as I can do... I'm an ex-mechanic that is now a chemistry teacher. I have purchased a manual for the bike and will attempt to do my own repairs whenever necessary. Time is a factor as well, but I do try and make some whenever possible.:)
  12. SkyKing

SkyKing New Member

I've got a custom that I built, so no warranty there. My wife had a 98 Sporty and now a 2000 FLSTC. When shopping for them I puposely look for bikes that are out of warranty. Don't want the Stealer working on it. Do most everything myself. Go to and Indy when I can't do something because of time, tools, or expertise (time and tools are still a problem, but the expertise is always increasing). Also, this site helps a lot when i tackle new problems.
  13. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

Hey Greybear! Been Awhile. I'm Bound For The Pcmp Contract For Now. Wish I Could Have Done It On My Own. Seems Much More Of A Hassle To Take It In And Do All That Waiti'n.
  14. 02dyna

02dyna New Member

Whatever I'm able to do myself I do it. Saves me money and I enjoy working on my bike.
  15. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

It also gives you a better handle on your bike and what makes it tick. So far, I have really enjoyed doing the 240 rear tire kit on my Dyna. I've had my share of problems and stalls, but I would definately do it again. All you need is a manual, some tools, a little bit of mechanical ability, and you're well on your way. Not to mention a sense of pride from doing it yourself. :D
  16. chucktx

do ya have an update on the swap...and maybe a pic or two??
  17. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Chuck, It's 40 degrees in my lower shop and I can't work when it's that cold, my hands hurt. My HVAC guy is supposed to drop off my ductwork today so I can heat the lower shop. Plus, I've been overloaded with work and can't even see straight. Will post when I can though. Believe me you, I am dying to get it done!
  18. chucktx

ok, thats cool.....no pressure.....so get off your ass and get to wrenchin!!!!!:) :roflmao: :D
  19. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

I had a little heart attack on my HVAC guy this morning......he's bringin my sh*t tomorrow at 10:30. I will have heat down there by the end of the weekend, then it's back to wrenchin!
  20. chucktx

if that's your story.....stick to it!!!!!:)