1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Major Tornado hits Oregon

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Dec 14, 2010.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

A major Tornado has hit just 30 miles south of me. The Town of Aumsville hit hard and farms destroyed. So far no deaths. This is a real freek as we have never had a Tornado hit. Lots of devatation, unbealeavable.
    I was out doing an inspection when we were hit by a huge rain cell, massive rain. Had to run from the roof and take shelter.

Photos: Tornado in Aumsville | kgw.com | KGW Home
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Always said Tornado's were worse you just never know when they will form..
  3. FLHTbiker

The weather here has been really strange this year. Listening to the news there are farms that all the buildings were totally destroyed. Even on the news the weather guys said we just don't get Tornado's, well guess we do now.
  4. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Don't be too sure that Oregon has never been hit by a tornado before. It was NWS policy not to report tornados west of the western ranges (Sierras, Cascades, etc) until the 80's. They were reported only as severe winds - even when eyewitnessed by authorities and citizens. LA and the nearby counties have far more than Oregon, I'm sure, but they are still rarely reported as such. Why? Who knows, but I saw one (at least EF2) in the Imperial Valley north of El Centro in the mid-nineties and noted the the deliberate miss-reporting of it as a "wind storm".

Besides, how do you think the Wicked Witch of the West got to Oz, anyway?:roflmao:

:cheers:
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

that is terrible........glad you and family are safe and no deaths......mother nature is one strong lady!!!!!!
  6. FLHTbiker

This is really the first real Tornado to hit western Oregon in recorded times. Had there ever been a real funnel cloud it would have been reported. There has been a few water spouts reported off the coast but visible from the beach. There saying its was about a 3 or 4 what ever that means.

By the way a mobile home was ripped to shreds, :rolleyes:
  7. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

the scale goes from 1 to 5..........5 being the worst..
  8. steveb

steveb Active Member

Hard to believe a tornado anywhere in the US at this time of year.Glad to hear you are all safe.
  9. FLHTbiker

Especially here in Oregon :eek:
  10. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

Only been through two Tornados here in NE TN. One hit one night, no time to go anywhere. Fortunately our home was down in a swag between two hills. I'd always heard that when one goes over, it sounds like a freight train. Let me tell you, that's exactly what it sounded like too. Thought the roof was going to come off a couple of times. The kids slept right through it though. The second one I was driving to Roanoke up I-81 and one hit. Saw the pink sky that you hear about. Looked sort of wicked. Anyhow I tought about pulling off under a bridge but they were all taken by the trucks and other cars so I just kept plugging along. Couldn't get above 15-20 MPH cause the van would hydroplane plus going into a headwind, that was about all I could do. Finally after about 50 or so miles, I ran right out of it.
  11. FLHTbiker

I'll bet that was scary. On the news the people they interviewed said the same thing..sounded just line a freight train.
  12. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

thats just what they sound like glad to here your alright & sad to here it took out all those farms
  13. FLHTbiker

Yea a lot of dead farm animals. Bet being on a bike would really suck if one touched down near you.
  14. FLHTbiker

The Tornado was about 30 miles south of me so no problem, however I found out this evening that a Tornado watch was in effect in Portland when I was up on that roof when the heavy rain hit. Scariest part was trying to get back on the ladder without falling. Was in kind of a hurry. Took the ladder down after the heavy rain and hail was over.
  15. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

Just glad you were able to get off the roof and somewhere safe. Tell ya what - nature is an awesome force to be reckoned with. Sometimes I wonder if it's not the hand of God trying to get our attention.........
  16. Hot Rider

Hot Rider Active Member

It is really amazing the power of a tornado and the destruction that it can cause. I would definately not want to be out on the bike when one of those touched down.
  17. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

The Weather Channel reported yesterday that 98 tornados have been recorded in Oregon since 1950, including 5 previous in December, (one an EF-2). They say the preliminary report was that was an EF-1 that hit Aumsville.

So it is unusual, but not a harbinger of the Apocalypse.
  18. FLHTbiker

The local news said that it was an F-2 tornado and said it was a 150 yards wide. If there were other Tornado's that have hit here we sure never heard about em and no real damage has been reported except for this one.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  19. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

One of the two tornados that I remember here, you could see in the side of the hills everywhere that it touched down. Looked exactly like somebody took a h-u-g-e rip saw and just laid it into the trees..
  20. FLHTbiker

Interesting how they work. One women that was interviewed said it went right up over the top of here house then came back down and destroyed other homes. Felt bad for one 72 year old lady, her whole house was torn to pieces and she just stood their in front of the camera and just cried. She got a lot of help from other people there. The tornado had a 5 mile long path. I know many of you that live in areas that get em more often, it just is kinda still unbelievable for most here.