1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Making A Change

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Nov 23, 2014.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

For some time I have been considering on using a different independent for repair needs that arise with my bikes. I won't to point specifics openly on the forum as to why other than that my collection of tools is getting to the point that I have pretty close to what I need to do most of it myself. Of course, not the intense "specialty" tools.
  2. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I think at your age you still have time to benefit from the tools you have and my need in the future. I think you can do all most anything you put your mind to, so be your own next head wrench.
    FLHTbiker likes this.
  3. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I agree. This is mostly related to that I have what I need to do pretty much all of it but there other reasons. I just need to become more comfortable with electrical stuff.
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Electrical part is the easiest part. Think of it as a road map with intersections, stop signs, overpasses and merges. Just be careful about going the wrong way on a one way.
  5. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

Get a good, (not cheap) multimeter, and a book, and you can figure out pretty much any basic electrical problem that comes your way. From the way you research your builds, electrical should be no issue for you. Like FLHT said, it is mostly like a roadmap.
    Grounds are more important than anyone seems to give credit for, and modules run off smoke. Once the smoke comes out, they usually don't work anymore.
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Turn everything on, start with the place that should have electricity
    like say a light bulb, put your tongue on the bare wire, if it hurts you have power
    if not, follow the wire back to the next junction until you shock your tongue.

At that point you know where the power short is located but you won't be able to speak about it for a while...