1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

MC Lifting

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by AFBombBldr, Apr 14, 2006.

1. AFBombBldr

AFBombBldr New Member

I have a Sears MC/ATV lift, p/n 95019, and used it for the first time yesterday. It assembled super easy and seems to be of good quality.
    The problem I had when lifting the '06 Low Rider, is that the saddles are too close together, and you can't lift it by the frame on both sides.
    Is it safe to lift by the tranny on one side and frame on the other? Last thing I need is to damage the trans/engine mating.

Does anyone make a wider saddle attachment for these jacks? Sears' site says there are no add'l accessories for this one.

Thanks in advance.

Joe
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i would not use any part of the eng or trans to lift with.....are you handy with a welder and torch/saw????? build it to fit your bike......or have a buddy that has the equipment do it for you.........
    chuck
  3. AFBombBldr

AFBombBldr New Member

Good idea

Thanks, chucktx, hadn't really thought about fabbing one. A good friend on base runs Metals Tech. Bingo! :D

Joe
  4. stevenh

stevenh New Member

Hey Joe, I got the same jack. I've used it on my g/f's lowrider. Hers is an '05. Not sure if there's a difference between 05 and 06, but on her bike the frame has a lip that hangs down lower than the transmission. I had to use a piece of wood on the left side to even it out because the lip on the right side hangs down lower. Also 'have used the jack on my softail and it seems to work good.
  5. AFBombBldr

AFBombBldr New Member

Thanks stevenh, I have not had time the last couple days to look at it, but I think there's a tab on the 06 also.

Joe
  6. CD

CD Guest

That pan under the tranny is your oil pan. They don't like holding up the bikes and more than one has been cracked by doing it this way.

Before you lift it again, modify it or use wood like suggested. I have never heard of a succesful repair on a cracked pan.
  7. AFBombBldr

AFBombBldr New Member

Thanks CD, will do. I don't even like the thought of replacing something like that on a brand new bike. (new anything for that matter!)

Joe
  8. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

I have the same lift. I have a "special" piece of wood set aside for my buddies low rider and it works fine. I didn't weld anything to it because it works fine for everything else I use it for so I didn't want to mess with it.