1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

melted boot on pipe

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by oldevo, Jul 28, 2004.

1. oldevo

oldevo New Member

yesterday my wife melted her boot on my new pipes. is there anything i can use or do to get it off.
  2. SISK

SISK New Member

Foreign objects on pipes

oldevo,

Different times that I've had things melted on my pipes, I've just let it cool, then take a razor blade and scrape, scrape, scrape it off. Depending on the type of rubber / plastic, it may come off easy or may require more passes. Be sure to use a new blade without nicks and scrape lightly. Watch to make sure you're not making small scratches in the pipes. The chrome should be harder than the razor blade and therefore not leave any scratches. I've used this method 5 or 6 times to get various types of rubber, burnt bugs and burnt flesh :( off my pipes and have always had good results. After scraping it off just use your usual chrome polish to shine 'em up.

Some may not agree with this method, but it has always worked good for me, and my V&H pipes still look new.

SISK

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. - George Bernard Shaw
  3. deano

deano New Member

You can warm the bike up nad spray the area with easy off oven cleaner. If you use a scotch pad you won't scratch the chrome. Don't get any oven cleaner on the paint.
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

0000 that 4 oh steel wool works good, get them warm and test it in a non conspicuous area, don't need a lot of pressure shouldn't scratch anything but test first.
  5. chopperchad

chopperchad New Member

yup quadruple ought steel wool is thr shiznit!!!!
  6. chopperchad

chopperchad New Member

burnt boot

I used to get that all the time when I was running upsweep fishtails on my 57 straightleg. loved those pipes even though everyone said it sounded like a tractor. :D
    #OOOO steel wool took care of it time after time after..........
    cc
  7. oldevo

oldevo New Member

i used some acetone on it. took it right off no scraping, scratching just rubbed it right off.