1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Melted Synthetics on exhaust

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, May 26, 2010.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Friend of mine melted some kind of synthetics on his exhaust and is wondering what to use to clean it. Anyone got any ideas.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i have used oven cleaner, baby oil, wd 40, and goo gone......dont use anything abrasave, it will scratch the chrome!!! even comet ..........
  3. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

A plastic bag got on my exhaust once and while the pipes were still hot, I just wiped it with a cloth. You have to be quick but it came right off.
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I used wd40 & 000. steel wool for wal-mart paint section , as the wifes boot got all over my rear pipe true dules :eek:
  5. Wilseya

Wilseya New Member

Oven Cleaners they all work well
  6. Mad Greek 54

Mad Greek 54 New Member

By mistake I used a microfiber towel to clean the hot exhaust.So I started again the engine let to heat it up and I used an old T shirt weted and wiped out all the marks.I did it 2-3 time and the exhaust pipes was like before.
  7. quietone

quietone Active Member

When it comes to the chrome on the pipes, rims, mirrors, motor, rims and etc, I am a really large fan of #ooo or finer steel wool. Works wonders and makes for really nice shine. People always ask what kind of polish is used and look really suprised when I tell them none. Removes bugs, tar, and most anything that gets splat on the bike. Just don't take it to a painted surface
  8. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

I've used oven cleaner on a hot pipe for boot marks. Also had good luck with "Blue Job".