1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Michelin Commander II's

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jun 18, 2013.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

For those of you that are running this tire, now that they have been released for awhile now, how do you like them? If memory serves correctly, the biggest initial knock on them was the handling of them in the rain. Is this still a concern or have you gotten used to the tire and this is no longer a concern? I am looking to change tires from the standard Harley Dunlop and am looking to try this tire out.

Any information about this specific tire would be really helpful. Thanks in advance.
  2. JohnnyBiker

After finding many threads about the Commander II's, I think that I am going to steer clear of them and go with something else. For my riding style and the fact that rain seems to follow me, I have decided that I am going go with a tire that is more consistent in their performance, but not a Dunlop. It seems that the boards all basically still say the "wet pavement" handling of this tire is still sub par, but do give them a great thumbs up for longevity. I don't care about longevity so much, I want handling! :D
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

I still haven't done a lot of rain riding with them yet......Turnin' into a candy azz fair weather biker;)...I'm liking them more and I believe my complaint about them being a little slippery in rain was because,
    1. I was riding a little aggressively for weather conditions,roads weren't just wet there was quite a bit of water on the road and in some places kinda deep...
    2. It seems you have to go a little easy on them for more than the first 100 miles...I have a hard time doing that:rolleyes:

This season I find they are holding the road really well and have my new floorboards ground down about 1/4" with absolutely no concerns with grip in hard cornering....Supposed to have some thunder storms tonight so I may be able to freshen my memory and give a revised analogy about how they handle in rain in the next couple of days....
  4. JohnnyBiker

Always good to know. However it just seems that the reviews of these tire are so wishy washy which you can expect some of that but thread after thread say the same thing.:banghead:

Haven't been able to ride much?
  5. Lucifer

No, not really....my season ended early last year and a late start this year...had a real hard time with low speed maneuvering....a back and shoulder injury had me off work since last Sept.....but I passed the physical Friday:D Good to go again!!!:cheers:
  6. JohnnyBiker

Awesome, glad to hear. How many miles do you have on the II's then? Why do you suppose that it takes a break in period for these tires? I have read something similar to this on a different forum.
  7. Lucifer

Heh,I don't know...forgot to check the mileage when I put them on and my speedo is always on the trip meter...I'd have to guess around 2500 miles on them...I think it may be the tire compound is why it seems to take longer for them to settle in,since they claim to be a high mileage tire they would have to be a little harder rubber in them,so it would take a little more to scuff 'em up....a few fill-ups as opposed to one tank and good to go...We'll see how they hold up through the summer to help me decide to go with them again or try the Avon Cobra's or the Metz 888's next...
  8. lwedwards

lwedwards Active Member

JB, I have them on my Ultra Classic and I am sure glad we don't get much rain here in Southern Clifornia. They are prefect in the dry but when you add water they are something else, wish I had more miles on them so I could justify changing them. I have over 5,000 on the front and back right now and they still look new. When they run out I'm going back to the Elite II I think.
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

People said the same thing about Avons, but never had a problem, generally I think it may be tied to folks who are out on the road with them (avon and mich) after the first big rain, in SoCal or FL, we have dry spells and the first rain washes off the oil and such it gets greasy.

However having said that my Dunlops on the 09 and up models are very good, but they don't make them for your rims.

Avons will make that bagger out handle that sporty...
  10. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Tried the Avons before could never wear a set out as the tire kept cracking on the side walls and across the tread. Got tired of taking them back so went back to Dunlop and have stuck with them. The older bikes like Johnny's use the older Dunlop and I never got a lot of miles on a set. Went to the Dunlop Elite series and was a great tire. The new Dunlop fat tire on the newer biker is great.

Never tried a Michelin tire have heard they wear good but if you live in country where there will be water on the pavement you want to make sure you have the best all around tire. Going to all these bike boards will only get you each posters personal preference. Dunlop makes a very good tire in the Elite series used them before on different Harley's and on other bike brands. They stood up to all the tests and we ride in rain all the time.
  11. JohnnyBiker

What you had said here is near exact as so many others have said about this tire and is why I have decided that I am not going to go with this tire. It seems that at least for this year that every time that I go out riding I get cought in the rain.:banghead:

Yes and for this tire change that is what I am looking for "HANDLING since I am going to be on some real twisty roads. Forums are the best place to get product reviews because there is so many people out there with information that have used so many different things. Never know what you really like unless you try different things and compare.:cool: I like the Dunlop, but there may be something that I like better. I am not 100% sure what kind of milage that I got out of my front tire as it was on my bike when I bought it, I know that it is at least 12,000 as that is what I have put on the bike since I have owned it. the rear tire has 12,000 as well.
  12. Lucifer

JB...I think you may want to look at the Avon Cobra's...I think BP said he's running them and I've heard/read good reports on them...Like everything,there are trade-offs.....Good grip and handling...they'll wear out a little quicker....High mileage....sacrifices grip and handling.....trying to find something in the middle is the trick...from what I've been reading seems to me the cobra's might be that middle road where you get good grip and handling along with decent mileage YMMV:D
  13. JohnnyBiker

ymmv? Yes, I do remember him telling me about that tire when he was up here. I have elected to go a different rout though. :D I completely get that there is trade offs, there is with everything.:D
  14. Lucifer

YMMV=Your Mileage May Vary:D
  15. FLHTbiker

16. JohnnyBiker

I was talking on the phone with Alex the Dog today and he had mentioned that he liked the Bridgestone tires as well. Those are a little more expensive then what I want to spend at the moment. Thanks. It looks like a nice tread pattern.
  17. ultra200922

ultra200922 Active Member

I am happy with my Dunlop American Elites, my Indy has many people running them with good results.
  18. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Never had an avon crack or any problems at all, the Tread life was a bit shorter
    but then again it was on a 124 and you could tear up a rock solid rubber tire in short time
    with that, but they make the bike handle like it's on rails.

If you do go with a rounded profile tire over the dunlaps on the bike now you will notice a massive improvement in handling, be sure to get used to it before the trip.

If you keep them aired up properly they will get 10K out of a rear, more than
    enough for your trip, Avon Venom X is what I ran and several friends run them
    on their baggers that cannot run the new Dunlops...
  19. FLHTbiker

Well they sure as heck cracked on my bike and have witnesses to prove it. finally had enough when the rear tire failed on a cattle guard crossing after everyone else on their Dunlap's made it over. Dunlap's handle just fine and never will go with another brand again. I get over 15000 out of my rear Dunlop and we ride em like we stole em.
  20. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

I'm Very satisfied with Dunlop American Elites on my bike. Good for about 20K+ -. Handle beyond my limitations,good in wet(again my limitations)