1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Mikuni on a Sportster

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Captaincalf, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Captaincalf

Captaincalf Active Member

I'm in the process of totally rebuilding my CV carb off my 1999 Sporty 1200C and have the following items on my shopping list:

CVP Harley Carb Deluxe Tuners Kit
    CVP Fuel Max Inlet Elbow
    CVP V-Ductor
    Deluxe CV Carb rebuild kit (gaskets)
    CVP Idle Speed Screw

My motor will be a High Compression 1250 with ported heads, K&N AC, and free flowing pipes, so please let me know what might be missing from my list above and what sized jets I should try to start with and thanks!
  2. Captaincalf

Re: Deluxe Tuners Kit+

How hard is a cv to tune compaired to a Mikuni flat side 42? Also, does the Mik even require a mounting bracket or doesn't it just hang there on the intake?
  3. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

The advantage a CV carburetor has over the Mikuni is a CV's slide is self regulating since it is moved by vacuum. Whereas a Mikuni's slide is regulated only by the throttle. What this means in terms of tuning is the CV is far more forgiving in the mid range and rarely needs rejetting when riding in higher altitudes. The CV also has an adjustable mixture screw to dial in the A/F mixture in the range just off idle.

Looks like you have everything covered with your parts selection.
  4. Captaincalf

Thanks Ken!
    RC
  5. cobra2411

cobra2411 New Member

Mikuni's are great but I passed on a killer deal because for my HP level the CV40 is all I need. There are A LOT of tuning options with the Mikuni that will let you very specifically dial the carb into your needs or F it up royally... :)

A well tuned CV40 is good up to about 80-85hp. And as Ken said the CV design is more forgiving tuning wise.

Also, what you spec'd out is exactly what I got.

Put a dab of anti-seize on the EZ-Just and you have to really pay attention when tuning with it. It's a much finer adjustment and at least on my bike it didn't really stumble hard. It just was a bit flat sounding when I was adjusting it. Some people say their bike doesn't respond, I think it's just that it's a subtle response.
  6. Captaincalf

All good points Cobra, I've decided to go with the Mikuni so wish me luck!

Anybody need a CV40 for parts?
  7. kenfuzed

I would hold onto the original CV carburetor. Over the years I built or resold hundreds of carbs for people that were dumping their Mikuni's and Super E's to go back to the original. Someday if you or the next owner feels the same way you may wish you hadn't of sold off the original. Also the 60-70 bucks you can get for it today will double in cost if the time comes to buy another one.
  8. Captaincalf

If I can help somebody out on this forum I'd be glad to let it go. Just PM me if you need something and I'll hook you up. This is the only way I know to give back to all the folks here that have helped me.

Thanks,
    RIck C.
  9. cobra2411

cobra2411 New Member

The Mikuni's can be harder to get dialed in because there are more adjustments but once you do they're pretty sweet. I went back and saw all you're planning on doing to your bike and you're probably better off with the Mikuni. The CV's are good but like I said, 80-85hp is about all they have in them.

I agree with both you and Ken. It's nice to have the CV but it's also nice to be able to help someone out. I wouldn't sell mine for $60-70; fair price is $100 for a clean but unrebuilt stocker.
  10. kenfuzed

I would actually have to disagree on a couple of points here. The CV carburetor is not the limiting factor on power - displacement and flow are. Dyno sheets show that on a standard 883 to 1250 conversion, HP remains neck and neck with both a CV40 and Mikuni up until 5000 rpm and then the MK breaks away slightly. On that stock 1250 conversion the CV40 tops out at 74.1 and the MK (HSR42) reaches 75.7... but that is at almost 6000 rpm's! I don't know anybody (except racers) who constantly run that high on a regular basis.

Improve the heads ('04-06 1200 stage 2 heads), new cams, and ignition, and now the CV40 can produce just over 98 hp while the MK excels in the upper rpm's to peak at 103. Again, this is only above 5500 rpm, otherwise both are even up until that point.

In my opinion, if you are already dropping the ca$h on heads, cams, and ignition, then by all means the extra 300 on a Mikuni HSR42 is not going to break the bank. But for anyone just trying to achieve good power out of a carburetor that still maintains good MPG and doesn't need adjusting when riding at all altitudes (the MK can't) then stick with the CV40.

My last point would be concerning fair price for a CV40 carburetor. I honestly believe there is a disconnect between what a used CV is worth and what some people on ebay have tried to inflate them to. I started building CV carbs back in 1989 when they first started rolling out, and people were pulling them off in exchange for S&S (old habits). While the price has naturally gone up from around $30-40 a few years ago to double that today due in part to lesser supply, the most I've ever paid for a CV40 was 90. And that was for a carb pulled off the bike on the showroom floor that still had the factory inspection marks on it. Looking at this from the standpoint of someone who may need that carburetor as opposed to a builder who has to turn a profit, a 13 year old carburetor in excellent condition would be fairly priced around $60 including the shipping. Then again, it's all about what the market will bear so if you can get 100 by all means go for it.
  11. Captaincalf

Here's a pic of the new carb and it looks like it'll gitter done!

Attached Files:

12. kenfuzed

Looks good.

I had your message thread moved out to the Motorcycle Tech Talk forum category since the subject is no longer concerning CV Performance products.
  13. Captaincalf

Thanks Ken, I'll post up my tuning experience with the Mik when I get there:)
  14. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

If you believe everything you read about performance
    parts and what they can do for you, then for about $4K
    you can bolt on 8000 horsepower with Joes heads, bobs cams
    toms intake, reds exhaust, bills' carb LOL it's nuts.

FWIW I'll echo Kens sentiments on the carb change.

JMO unless the engine requires a larger carb, changing it
    is no better than tossing the money in the trash can as far
    as performance gains.

Mik will work on the carb, as long as it's a 42, and while you
    might feel a little more power up top, it's doubtful unless the cv
    carb was so poorly dialed in and you just happen to pop on the 42 and
    it's setup right.

Only the dyno knows for sure, take the bike over, get a dyno pull (3 runs)
    with the CV, now, go back and do the Mik after it's on, that way you know
    if you made the right move and if it's tuned correctly.

JMO I'd have dropped the extra green on PAB....