1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Milage Question

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by TopKat, Aug 9, 2008.

1. TopKat

TopKat New Member

First time here. I have a tech question.

I just bought a 2002 Harley Wide Glide with 11K miles. It has the stock CV carb with Stage 1 kit (has new K&N filter), V&H Long Shots and the rest of the motor is stock. My question is this: It starts well with full choke when cold, it starts well when warmed up and seems to run ok but I only get 38mpg at best and should be getting from mid to high 40's. I have noticed after I've been on the freeway for awhile and then come to a stop my idle is much faster than any other time which leads me to believe I may have a vacuum leak. I would think that if I do have a leak it would effect my mpg but by that much I dont know. I dont ride that fast on the freeway, mostly 65 to 75 and rarely get on it hard off the line. Have at it guys. What's up?

Thanks in advance for your input.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  2. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

that mileage isn't too far off 38-42 about what i get:devil:
  3. WildWindwalker

WildWindwalker New Member

Afte looking for any leaks try replacing your spark plugs and if your not already run premium only fuel. This worked for me, when I recieved bike and started riding I was only getting about 35 miles per gallon, now with plugs changed and premium fuel I am getting about 40 miles and I ride through the footshills of the Ozark Mountains so thats pretty good mileage on a 780 lb Electra Glide Classic.:)
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i would look for a leak...the idle should not change, hot or cold. use a bit of wd40 with a spraytube. dont direct it into the intake.......have fun and let us know!!...............:)
  5. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

yer off

yeah I can get right at 50 on my 02 FXDWG trips. My buddy's 02 springer is a fuel inj. and gets the same except for when we start pushing in the higher 75+mph. then his gets better mpgs. All the way to GA or FLa. from OH. Always right at 50mpg@ 68 mph.. Have had and have rode different Dynas an 01 and an 02 both same. Now the first tank out of town and highway for me seems to be the worse(40-45mpgs). But straight up highway is 50mpg. Only run Sunoco or Shell high octane no matter where I gotta stop but always looking for 100% gasoline stations along the way(not always possible). I got alot bunch more miles than you do on mine. Plugs and wires,who "worked" on the carb. What do your pipe ends/plugs look like?
    vac leak? Get yer bible out and see what it has and listen to experts in here. If ya got a problem there a few in here that can solve it with a little bit of information to them. Good Luck:cool:
  6. TopKat

TopKat New Member

02 Wide Glide Milage

Well, took it to the dealer and after a thorough check found no leaks and in general the bike is running well. This may be BS but the mechanic wanted to know if I wanted to sell. LOL. Anyway, I spose I could have a smaller main jet put in to increase the milage but I'm just going to leave well enough alone. It's one of those "if it works dont fix it" things. Thanks for all your input.
    Ride on bros.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  7. Breeze

Breeze New Member

Mileage

My set up on an'02 FXST: Thunderslide, 185 main, 48 pilot, Big Sucker filter, Cycle Shack pipes (supposedly), needle at 4th notch. I have experimented and this was my best set-up. Highway average is 50 mpg. I have rolled it up to 115 mph and still climbing in 5th... everybody says I can make more speed in 4th but I'm happy with the 115. :rocket_bike: