1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Milage remaining

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by viking, Jul 9, 2008.

1. viking

viking New Member

I have an o8 streetglide.when I picked up the bike,The salesman did a walk around with my wife and I.My wife noticed a mark on the tank.The dealer was great and insisted they change the tank at a later date,which they did.My problem now is when I fill the tank,it used to show it had about 459 km remaining now the best I can get is409 km.could this be caused by a bent float?I have not talked to the dealer yet I will on my next service.Any input would be great.
    Viking
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

HD's floats are about as accurate as a compass from a box of crackerjacks.

It could be bent a tad, you could spend forever getting it back, or make it worse, ask the dealer it's a warranty issue.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i use my mileage to gauge when i need fuel.....i thought the 08's had a sensor to give you " miles till walking"....???
  4. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

i use my guage to know how much gas is left and compare that with the odometer when i hit 1/4 i better be looking for gas, which reminds me a new rider youngster found out the other day how far he could go as his little cockysocky left him peddleing he was lucky that it was down hill on the sisters into evanston. he told me he was glad his wasn't as large as mine for the pushing, and he now knows how to gage his fuel:D
  5. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

i do the mileage thing too. adjusting that float just right would be hell on earth. every time you wish to adjust it a bit it involves removing the entire fuel pump from the tank:puke:
  6. viking

viking New Member

thanks guys I will talk to my dealer.I keep track of my milage to see if anything has changed with my bike from time to time.
    viking