1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Misses and loses power

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Lucifer, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Hey, a buddy of mine rides a 91 Ultra...the end of last year he had a new stator and regulator put in and a new secondary belt put on.
    The bike starts fine and runs but when he turns on the stereo it loses power and the bike starts missing.The swing arm was off to install the belt,I'm thinking he may have a bad ground. Nothing under the fairing was touched.
    Any ideas??:confused: TIA.
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

it only looses power when the stereo is turned on?

The baggers run a 45 amp charging system
    there is a smaller system for the RK's Softails Dynas

If he got the wrong stator/rotor he could be putting out the wrong (insufficent) amount of amps to run the whole bike.

If you have a SM there is a way to put a meter on the output and measure amps, or volts coming from the stator and an amount it should measure.

If he has the parts list I'd check to be sure you have the right stator/rotor combo...
  3. Lucifer

Evo baggers had a 45 amp?? i think he said the lights are kinda dim , but bike runs...when he turns on the tunes it starts missing....thanks HRK...my bud is going over tonite with a meter to do some checking, first check will be alt output.
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

sounds like HRK hit it on the head , That's where I would start My brother did the same thing on his 98 ultra , shop gave him the wrong stater & it would'nt handle the radio , the shop gave him the right one & a new set of gaskets cause of there mistake
  5. hotroadking

I know there is a high output rotor and stator, came on evo cop bikes,

Just put one on the RK for Doug's 98.
  6. Lucifer

I would be surprised if the dealership here gave him the right stator. I'm pretty sure it was just the stator replaced and regulator replaced.
    Cowboy do you know the alt output on your brothers?? my heritage has a 32 amp alt...I thought the Evo baggers had 38 amp and cop bikes had a 45 amp.
    Does the main ground just ground to a starter mounting bolt or is there a ground strap to the frame on them??
    But I think it would be safe to say if the output was less than 38amps he got the wrong stator.
  7. hotroadking

I would check,
    Also if he replaced the regulator I'd check output at the battery with ameter

Your stator runs to the regulator then the regulator back to the main circuit breaker the battery grounds to the frame in front of the battery, pull it out and make sure you have tight connections, then there should be a ground from the frame to the starter.

If you find he has old cables, before you buy HD check with a freind of mine in WI that hand makes USA made cables, it's a little side business but it's USA made and helps him with the family expenses

He calls it Yoopercables

yoopercables at hotmail dot com is the email, Rich is his name. Good stuff I have them on the heritage, better stuff than stock.
  8. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

lucifer all I know is that the ultra's & cop bikes use the same stator & have the amps both the evo & TC
  9. hotroadking

yep its' got the big one's....