1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

mist on my face

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by flip 57, Aug 25, 2006.

1. flip 57

flip 57 New Member

I was on a run yesterday with my buddies and I feel something was hitting my face and I know it is not sand or small rocks. I feel ike it is water. I don't know where it comes from. Is it coming from my gas tank? Oil? i have ni idea. This is not only the first time that had happened to me. S i guess maube you guys have this same problem too.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

if its petroleum it will have a smell to it. not sure what you ride, so it could be water........
    there is many a day here in texas i wish for a mist!!!!!:)
    chuck
  3. ZZsBagger

ZZsBagger New Member

More than likely, it's the cage out front of you with their windshield squirters on...or that dog on the side of the road...smile...

zz

Attached Files:

4. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Did you recently wash your cycle? Sometimes there will be water up under/around the lights and such. When you get rolling you’ll get the mist or water being blown off.
    At least that’s what happens to me after I hose down the Rattle-can.
  5. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Post-Wash Leakage

I'm with Killer-B on that - I've had water come out of mystery spots while riding on my bike even a few days after washing it. Think it was the handlebars. Anyway, it might be your issue, too.
  6. goats_hogs

goats_hogs New Member

If you are following a cage and it's hot out, most likely it is water dripping off the condenser and lines. Any vehicle with closed windows on a hot day in Indiana will do this..... I'm really surprised no one mention this yet......
  7. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

texas heat

only way you get water from a car ahead of you is IF you are following too closely and they wash their windows...... ANY other water is HISTORY before it would ever find you......at least in the SA area. SO far this year, we are something like 15-20 inches behind for rainfall.......
  8. aaron

aaron New Member

Hogs is right, if you live anywhere where there is humidity the a/c will definately condence anough water out of the air to cause a mist. I live in the LA area and you can feel that for sure.
  9. flip 57

flip 57 New Member

Thanks for all the reply and I think everyone of you is right on my opinion. After I rode for a few days the mist was gone. I don't know if the water dried out or I am not following a car. Anyway, now I know it and this will not bother me anymore. Hey, AARON, I am from So. Cal. too. :) buenapark. You????
  10. Seahag

Seahag New Member

I personally don't believe this theory. I believe the condensation drain for the air conditioner runs through the firewall and drops the water on the ground in the engine compartment....thats where I always see the puddle form.

I don't believe that water droplets dropping a couple inches to the ground from the front of the car, will 'splash' back up high enough for you to notice, without getting picked up on the underbody of the car as it drives past the spot the water just dropped to.

However, a by-product of combustion is a water vapor. Some of which condenses in the muffler and tail pipe. This is why they put a small hole in the muffler to drain that condensate...so it doesn't pool up and carrode your exhaust even faster. The condensed water [actually a mild acid at this point] then gets BLOWN out the REAR of the vehicle ahead of you....I BELIEVE THIS IS WHERE YOU GET THE OCCASIONAL MISTING FROM, EXCEPT IN CASES OF WINDSHIELD WASHER USE.

Now think about it and let me know if you think I'm right...cuz of course I have no proof.:D
  11. aaron

aaron New Member

Buena Park huh. Orange. I'm right down the road from you.