1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Mobile One Oil filter

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cardboard, Apr 17, 2013.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Was told by buddy he got a Mobile One oil filter from Advance auto parts
  2. cardboard

Git somebody saying this

Hi all.

OK, as we have ben talking about oil filters lately, I now have more info that I need to tell you all, and hopefully i can save you engine.

I have ben searching the web for a Mobil 1 oil filter for my bike, but I was not able to find a listing in a Catalog, just a couple web pages that showed two different numbers, a M1-102 and a M1-301.
    I tried a M1-102(Cost me 10.95) and I started the engine, I notice that the pressure was 5 to 10 pounds higher then before with the Wix.
    Harleys oil pressure port in between the pump and the filter, so the reading is BEFORE it gets into the filter, so the higher reading was because the filter was restrickive.
    I also looked into the oil tank to see if it was flowing, the flow was very slow, after a short ride, the engine was hot, but the oil was not getting hot.
    So I shut it down, and replace the filter again with a Wix 51215.

I called up Mobil and asked if I had the wrong filter, they told me that they do not sell motorcycle filters, and were not sure if it would work on my bike. They do not make these filters, so he gave me the number for Champion filters(They make Mobiles filters, and STP's).
    I got to talk to one of there engineers, and this is what he told me.

Do not use this filter on a motorcycle. It does not have the right by-pass or flow rate, and if it damages your engine, you are on your own.
    He then suggested the STP motorcycle filter as a sutable one.

After work today, I had a chance to talk with a tech friend of mine, Harley Bob at Paridice Harley. He not only has 45 years as a harley Mechanic, he has a 2001 1200s that he drag races, and runs high 10's, he I trust.
    I asked him about this filter and this what he told me.

If a bike comes in with non harley filter and has a engine failure, they will check the filter numberm if it is not a Motorcycle filter, they can, and most likely will cancil the warranty.
    The uses of a Automotive filter is outside of that fed law that lets you use an aftermarket filter, You can only if it is oked for that vehical.

Lastly, my Fram rep called on me, and had a CH6065a in hand, and we cut it open at work this lunch, you may remember that I told him my disapointment with my last filter, well, the chrome one(The CH6065A is the chrome one) still has all metal cap ends a a good solid well spaced filter eliment, so this is not what I have seen on those web sight, he said there showing there budjet filters, use the chrome ones and you should be ok.

The bottom line is, don't beleive these web sights as they can leed you down the wrong road, and don't use a car filter on your bike, If it costs you a engine, you will be all aloan with a dead motor.
  3. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

I've heard similar with other filters. If the bypass rating does not match you risk having the filter run permanently in bypass mode and not filtering any oil. The only filters I use are the Amsoil EA, Wix, and Harley... all depends what's available at the moment or if I remember to order them ahead of time.
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I just get HD filters, btw if you want an HD filter without paying the dealer
    price they are made by Wix go here to find the PN

WIX Filters - Products Catalog by Application

For Twin Cams the numbers are below.

Oil Filter 57348 1072 Chrome
    Oil Filter 57148 2315 Black
  5. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Thanks for that info HRK. I just order a half dozen from discountfleetsupply.com They charge only $8.61 for the chrome filter (plus freight). They ship from GA.
  6. hotroadking

Yep that's the way to do it....
  7. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

I use the black Harley Evo filter on my shovelhead. I think it's about 3" long or so. Has worked well for me. I change oil twice every riding season. Last year rode about 4500 miles. I think anyone with a newer bike should use Harley filters recommended for their bikes.

Good advice all around, boys. :)
  8. hotroadking

JB Wix is HD...
  9. cardboard

Don't tell him HD don't make their own filters:gah:
  10. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

No... he's fine...Shovels and Evo's filter on the return,TC's filter on the feed...
  11. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

12. Sir Rat

Sir Rat Active Member

TY......Mike

I did some research on my own and pretty much came to the same conclusion...he's fine, so I removed my post

Nice filter....maybe my next investment.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  13. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

I researched it before going with the evo filter. Went to the shovelheadUSA site and a lot of those guys use 'em. The one I get is around $10; a couple bucks more for a chrome one - but they're the same on the inside.
  14. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Yeah but the chrome one makes Harley faster! :cool: