1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

MoCo Gets Sued

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Nov 30, 2011.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

2. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

When you buy into a contract like a Harley Dealership, I would bet you don't get it your way.
    Bet uou have to do what The HD franchise dictates .
    Would bet that if you break their contract rules of being a dealership . HD will stop selling you bikes.

Becoming a Dealer | Harley-Davidson USA
  3. JohnnyBiker

In school we looked at franchises and yes, there is really no room for negotiation. However, the point that St. Paul Harley Davidson is making is that what HD is doing by limiting sales via a third party like ebay that Moco is violating existing franchising contracts (Agreements). My whole understanding of this new provision of not being able to use third parties or even being allowed to sell outside of the U.S. is something that is really new. Remember, HD has to abide by a contract as well, the can't just make the rules up as they go....
  4. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Where you are, and listening to the folks in Canada. They can't buy HD part from here and have them sent there. HD rules. And to my understanding HD parts and motorcycle cost more in Canada.
    Know a dude that has a address in the United States. He orders something here and has it sent to a address like in N.Y. and goes there to pick it up.
  5. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

We used to be able to get parts but that sounds like it may get tough. A HD dealer will not sell a new bike to Canadians..you get get a used one..but not new. We do pay a bit of a premium for buying the bike here..parts are more money. Lots of stuff goes on the bike at Sturgis but I try to look after the local parts guy here. Since our dollar is close to yours the difference isn't that big.
  6. JohnnyBiker

What? You guys do not have HD dealers in Canada??
  7. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

LOL,We have dealers here JB...He meant US Dealers won't/can't sell a new bike to a Canadian...
    Deeley Imports is what jacks the price of HD bikes and parts in Canada,every bike and Genuine HD part comes from the US mother ship through Deeley Imports and on to the Canadian Dealers,that's why our prices are higher,Deeley tacks on his fees...
    My local Dealer sells all his HD parts and accessories at 20% over Canadian MSRP,so I only use him if I'm in a jam and need something Genuine HD(that doesn't happen very often)
    I've done business with your local Dealer JB and I hope he wins the suit,because it'll give us an option instead of being at the mercy of dealers like mine that gouge us for parts...MSRP does allow for fair profit to the dealer,no need to add another 20%,but if they're the only game in town they can gouge even deeper...:cussing:
  8. JohnnyBiker

Thank You Lucifer, I thought that I made it clear that I was in support of this law suite. :confused:

I think that this is just bad business on the part of MoCo, however there are some reasons that I can think of that would cause MoCo to want to do this, but still, not very wise..
  9. JohnnyBiker