1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Mono Tubes

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Lucifer, May 29, 2014.

1. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Picked up a set of PS Mono tubes for the king,also have 2 new OEM rotors polished and a set of Lyndall Gold+ pads going on,then a little later a set of Progressive Suspension444's going on the rear...New rubbers all around, belt, front motor mount and rear rubber mounts,BDL trans pulley and seals.
    Finally got a compression check done,but no leak down since my Winter Project fiasco a couple years ago.... Front cyl was 200 lbs and rear 190lbs...seems a little high to me for a TW21 with SE 9.4 flat tops and a .030 HG...Not to fussy about the 10lb difference,but it's still within the 10% range
  2. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Lots of stuff going on there, Lucifer. Amazing to me the amount of compression modern bikes have.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Will you be able to ride that thing this year?
  4. Lucifer

Yep...On the road now...Front brakes rotors are thin and warped,makes hauling it down an adventure,shakes like hell...and brake lever lol.. I got 2 fingers stuck between the lever and hand grip,glad I didn't need to stop in a hurry...I think that's why the neck bearing needs a little tightening.
    The new polished rotors were new take offs polished up,
    Got 2 for the price of one stock rotor...I didn't care about them being shiny,I just want a set flat n thick...lol...
    What do you think about the 10lb difference in cylinders front to back??
  5. hotroadking

Not a big deal it's not a drag bike.
    5% difference
  6. Lucifer

Nope, definitely not a drag bike...Thanks,wanted a second opinion...and I couldn't figure out how to get the % difference...5% is not too bad
  7. hotroadking

well I simply used 200 as the baseline,
    and a 5% reduction is 10 pts making it 190.

If it runs good I woudn't sweat it..
  8. Lucifer

:facepalm:Keep It Simple Stupid:facepalm:...lol...It's running good...outrunning the suspension and brakes right now...
    Got a stuck clutch in the Softail I gotta free up,going to try a couple of things before the primary comes off and plates come out...
  9. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Darn on the road & already taking the other bike apart ,what a guy what a guy LOL
  10. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Put mono tubes on my bike last year.
    And took the air shocks off and put a set of Progressive 944 UT shocks.

And a set of Michelin Commander II tires.
  11. Lucifer

I'm putting a set of Progressive 444's on the rear,have a set of Commander IIs on now, Avon Cobra's will be next,don't find wet weather grip with the Michelin's all that good,hoping I can wear them out before I give up on them and replace them...
  12. Lucifer

Got the Mono Tubes in and new brakes on,all I can say is WOW what a difference:D
    Should have done this long ago,I can "feel" the road much better and no dive when I grab a fist full of brake....So nice to be able to grab a fist full of brake and not feel like a paint shaker too:cool:
    Now just install the Progressive 444s on the rear and chassis overhaul is complete:D
  13. cardboard

I really, Like the better milage out of the michlein tires.

And if I had my fathers. I'd rather not ride in the rain. PERIOD.
  14. Lucifer

lol... Me either,but I think my ignition switch is a rain maker;) I find the Michelins good on dry roads but only fair in rain...I found the Dunlop E3s had much better grip in cool wet weather than the Commander IIs...
    Up here,good wet weather traction is a must in tires if you're going to ride...I won't be buying the Commanders again when these wear out...I still get a little nervous cornering with them from last years experience...Gonna try the Cobra's next...
  15. cardboard

Rode in the rain with my michlein and I never noticed a problem man.
    Michelin is suppose to have a litte harder rubber than the Avons. A harder rubber is gonna not stick as well.
    Got 5000 miles on the Michelin Commander II on my bike and they don't show any wear.

Put the E3s on a 08 bike I had and within 2500 miles I took them off. Didn't like them.
    Chucktx is the person who likes E3 tires.
    They made too much road noise for me.
  16. Lucifer

That's exactly it...a harder rubber isn't going to stick as well and if you add cool temps to that:eek:...can get scary...it doesn't get hot here,where you are I'd say your tires soften up a little more than they do here...
  17. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Lucifer is right. The harder rubber does not stick as well especially so in wet weather. I know many don't much care for the Dunlop however on the newer bikes with the fat rear tire I get excellent wear and they also work well in wet weather. On my older Harley's I really liked the E3 tires, good grip and they had better wear than the stock Dunlop tires. Have friends who tried the Michelin tires but most came back to the Dunlop.
    I even tried the Avon's once and coming back through the mountains in a long sweeper on wet roads I had the rear end start sliding, that will wake you up.
  18. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I hope that Michelin corporation doesn't ef over you like they did me with my cracked tires. As far as I'm concerned ef me once and ya can rot in hell before I'd spend a dime on ya again ! JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  19. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

How has the weather been in C.B. so far Lucifer?, June was pretty much rained out so far this year here, I might be up to 600Kms so far, just sad. Working six days a week most weeks doesnt help either. Hoping for a better July, August, and Sept.
  20. Lucifer

Well,it's not raining right now...lol...Had to turn the heat on this morning to get the dampness outta the house:arghh: 1st day of summer today eh?? lol... 11°C right now:rolleyes:
    Hardly have any riding in yet either... but I have a lot of life stuff going on that I can't do while riding...usually have an oil change in by now...Spring sucked, Hope we get our 2 weeks of summer this year. haha...I'm off for 5 weeks Starting July 1 so the weather better improve....can't really get any worse...