1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Motorcycle accident in NY

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Blackmouth, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Blackmouth

Blackmouth New Member

2. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

It is unfortunate thing to happen, but after that length of time out of the saddle he should have taken a riders safety course before getting back on.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Should be a state law.....
  4. harleydave51

harleydave51 New Member

It's just sad:banghead:
  5. bikerputz

bikerputz New Member

That is unbelievably tragic!!!
  6. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Oh. That must have been at Maroney's. That's awful. Of course in NYS the course costs something like $350, which is absurd. In NH the Department of Safety teaches the course, and it's subsidized by motorcycle registrations. New York sucks. They'd rather have a helmet law and let that be the "protection" rather than making the MSF course affordable. :gah:
  7. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

I agree he should have taken a course and the guy should also have been wearing a helmet.

However, something tells me that he wasn't all that experienced thirty years ago either. I agree that the Safety Courses are great. On the other hand, you don't COMPLETELY forget how to ride. Thirty years is a long time but an "experienced" rider should still know how to do it well enough to traverse a parking lot without dying. A clutch is still a clutch and a brake a brake. They do the same things they did in 1978. It seems to me that he may have been on a bike that was way more than he could handle, even thirty years ago.

It is a tragic story never the less and I always hate to see any biker get hurt or killed.
  8. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

56 isn't a bad time in life to punch out. Not too old, but enough years to have had a good life and raised a family. He must not have been doing too bad since he could afford a NEW Harley. Anyway it goes, his pain is over. I just feel badly for his family and friends, they're the ones hurting now.

These stories are sad, but more people need to read them and get over the bias. See them for what they are lessons. If one person learns from this man's mistake(s) then maybe his death isn't a complete waste. Atleast it wasn't some highschool kid who's parents (who supposedly love him so much) bought him a crotch rocket to go get killed on.

Now my wonder is how many kids in his family is going to get the "Your (insert relation here) got killed on one of those death machines and you aren't getting one!" I hated that line of crap, and took me 36 freakin years to get mine and to start riding. The only one now that can take me off my bike for good will be God and God alone. Not even the bank can take mine back, I can sell plasma to make the payment if I have to.
  9. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Sad, just sad......
  10. freerider8

freerider8 New Member

terrible

I feel so bad for this man's family, this is the exact reason that we have to be thankful for everyday that we have on this earth. To all the riders in this forum and your friends.....ENJOY THE RIDE, BUT BE SAFE.

To this man's family our prayers are with you.:(
  11. gutierg

gutierg New Member

I absolutely hate reading this type of news. It was just another brother trying to enjoy himself, and this tragedy occurs. Naturally, why not wear a helmet and why not let someone else teach him how to get back on the saddle?

I can only hope his family can bear this terrible incident. God bless him!

German
  12. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb New Member

Well, he died at the controls, right? Not so bad then.