1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Motorcycle Alarms

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by smiley7661, May 15, 2008.

1. smiley7661

smiley7661 New Member

I have a 99 E-Glide Classic. This did not come with an alarm, and I went to the dealership today to see about the alarms that are available for my bike. The do have one, but then I have to buy the special wiring harness and the siren and all the nickel and dime stuff.. the grand total was almost 500.

My question is... is the alarm really worth the money, and is there a comparable less expensive (did not say cheap) alternative.

Smiley
  2. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Someone mentioned an alarmed MC cover to me last week. It goes off if the cover is messed with. Don't know a thing about it, but it did sound interesting. I wish I had an alarm too. Someone knocked my bike down while parked a few weeks ago, and I could have caught the hit and run culprit if I'd had an alarm.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i have used paging alarms from j c whitney. they worked great and were inexpensive, and long lasting. i didnt use a siren or any audible device to warn the dude/dudet that it had an alarm. i always caught them.........the last time i looked i think the complete system was under 200 bucks....check crutchfield and other on line electronic companys.....there are a ton of systems out there...........................:)
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I just pay for good insurence & if need be lock the front end , I'am a beliver in if they want it they will get it , :gah: to me A alarm just keep a honest man honest
  5. VYBR8ER

VYBR8ER New Member

I just went one step further and put in a LoJack. Alarms will keep the average Joe honest but if they want your bike they're going to take it. With LoJack there is a chance of getting it back.
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

There are some aftermarket systems.

IF you really want loJack be sure you check coverage in your area, won't do much good if you live in bumfug and the LEO's don't have connectivity to LoJack

Used to be Immobilizer, they went out of business due to HD built in alarms

the HD alarm isn't cheap but it bolts right up

call Jenny at Fairfield, Ohio, Harley-Davidson, Motorcycle, Dealer, Used, Parts, Acccessories, Apparel in fairfield oh, 20% off no tax and shipped to your door, so you'd spend $400

Which is about the going price on any good alarm system.
  7. roadkinger

roadkinger Member

When i bought my harley it came with the factory security (alarm & key fob) no siren and no pager.Like hotroadkinger said for a full harley alarm its not cheap.So i went with a scorpio alarms and have been enjoying ever since.It has a 2 way FM remote and pager all in one, so you can program it to the setting you want and monitors it from a 1/2 a mile away.

scorpioalarms.com
  8. steveb

steveb Active Member

I use the fork lock and a front disc lock . If someone wants it bad enough to get thru that I don't know if anything will stop them.